Split Top Roubo

JoshC1501

Josh...getting the leg vise installed has got to be a real sense of accomplishment.  Well done!

I just noticed that you are going to glue the lower (front and aft) rails instead of the "knockdown joint technique."  Any particular reason?

Thanks for the pics.

Not particularly. Just like the thought of less mechanical hardware and I don't ever intend to knock it down. If I need to move it I will just take the top slabs off and buy a 12 pack of beer so some friends will help me.

The way to move is smart...... May need more than one 12 pack,    gotta build liquid muscle!

Not particularly. Just like the thought of less mechanical hardware and I don't ever intend to knock it down. If I need to move it I will just take the top slabs off and buy a 12 pack of beer so some friends will help me.

Whew!  I was afraid some engineer would state unequivocally that an M&T glue joint is 172% stronger than an M&T knockdown joint.

how long are your tenons on the top of the legs?  I'm getting close to glueing up my legs and haven't decided on a depth for the M&T yet.  Are you going to draw bore them in? 

Off the top of my head I don't know, but it came right off the Guild plans.   They will not be drawbored or glued so the top can be removable.  Just using the Spax screws from the Benchcrafted kit.

• Like 1

Josh, do you see yourself doing much pounding type work on the bench?

I fear that just sitting the tennons in the mortise then attaching it with the lags will put quite a bit of strain on the threads of the lag attempting to keep the table top from rebounding. Eventually, it seems like the top would be loose

The too is so heavy I wouldn't worry about the top moving around on you. I think the only real reason to use the Spax screws is to prevent you from lifting the top if you try to shift the bench around in your shop. The tenons on the top of the legs keep it from shifting off the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it was a pretty great feeling. Lot of hard hours and heavy boards to get to that point!!

Putting the down time I had waiting on hardware to use has paid off today. Made a ton of progress.

Got the chop shaped and the deadman runner installed.

Both the chop and deadman are cherry.

3aa9f5e0cfe6244b3ff8f366279b14ff.jpg

7b3a37f71cd9b7169517ab00f209b7ae.jpg

Waiting to put the leg vise on until I get the top flattened. I don't have the energy left for that today. Maybe tomorrow.

Put my shelf in.

e39192a159651df7cabfeb1d5b3338ea.jpg