Split Top Roubo

JoshC1501

Ironic just took a few pics to post and then saw your post vinnyjojo.

Here are the pieces for the top. All jointed one face and I got 4 of them planned. Lots of work left to do and will likely need to cut few more.

4cb4a823491c1c33c08b7e06a8b9b1c5.jpg

I ripped these down using my circular saw so I left them plenty wide, once I get one edge jointed I plan to rip them down to 4 1/2" on my bandsaw.

I have the day off work tomorrow so I should be able to make some good progress.

• Like 2

Worked all day Friday and this afternoon to get all the long boards milled. Didn't have enough long boards in the oak, more specifically had some that where just to twisted so I pulled a nice 8/4 Cherry board out of my stash. I added a piece in both the front and back slab.

Even though the grain on many of the oak boards are perfect to show ray fleck on the top they don't. Not sure why. Maybe the width?

1dde3870904e7abed2c18468e930f989.jpg

50403197c0a36e1bf6c4958bd10f4ce7.jpg

Next up: Size the slabs to exact width and run the boards through my planer on edge. Then I should be ready for glue up.

After much contemplating and indecision about what bench to build, I finally made a decision and started rough cutting the lumber for my new bench yesterday.  I ended up going with the Split Top Roubo...................

..................Wish me luck.  

Josh,

Congrats on making what I believe is the right decision.  I also struggled with the decision, and, like you, finally decided on the Benchcrafted Split Top Roubo.

Looks like you are making excellent progress. Pictures and progress reports are motivational...keep them coming.

I have started a journal titled "I too am building a Roubo", located in the Roubo sub-forum. Please drop by and take a look.  Comments & suggestions are always welcome.

Good Luck,

FtrPilot

Made some good progress since my last post.

Tops have gone through the planer and are at final thickness.

0031dac2d1e9fd9fde3908ab18ef320d.jpg

Got the legs laminated. Here are 3 of them.

8535491da184342680bdc478cb2d6467.jpg

More pics of the legs along with rails and end cap. Which is a glue up as I don't have any 12/4 stock.

3d62f45ec9c3fd2dd77931a4e9551cea.jpg

Cutting the slabs down to length.

af1140ace48ca1da7240aaa3ccc47aae.jpg

Tonight got the tenon cut for the end cap, still need to clean it up but ran out of energy.

e14e19c7df6b207f1101814296e59502.jpg

Looking good and you've made great progress! Did you plane all the way down to 4" or leave a little thicker?

Took it down to 4" exactly.  

Looks great. How did you get the circular saw jig to register at the exact same place on all sides as you flipped the slab around.

Very carefully.  Used knife lines to line up the straightedge.  Didn't come out perfect but with a little cleanup with my block plane it is nice and square.  Mark covers the process in the Guild videos.  

I made some significant progress last week and over the weekend.    Finished the tail vise installation tonight.  Pretty happy with the way everything is coming out.  Made a slight mistake with the router cutting the pins on the dovetail.  If it was a piece of furniture I would of replaced the end cap, but this is just a workbench.  I should be able to repair it reasonably well.

post-14301-0-57951900-1427764422_thumb.j

post-14301-0-72849900-1427764389_thumb.j

post-14301-0-39177000-1427764400_thumb.j

post-14301-0-60575200-1427764411_thumb.j

Now on to the base.  

This is giving me the bug.. bad

Brendon...put your kitchen cabinets on hold.  The secret to successfully building (or refinishing or whatever you decide) your kitchen cabinets, and pretty much all future woodworking projects, is having the proper tools and especially a proper woodworker's workbench.  That is what I have told my wife, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Josh...excellent progress.  The end vise install looks superb.  Hopefully, she spins smooth as silk.