Split Top Roubo

JoshC1501

Well except for leather on the dogs, a little burning to clean up on the ends of the slabs, and a few couple coats of finish. I about done!!

This has been the most satisfying, challenging, and just plain hard work of any project I have done to date.

0745250ee8b7c0d2c658a900a9d0c33a.jpg

0b91263a9030df122fe9e463ff6f8c79.jpg

c65d89f9ed80429614c75926c1340485.jpg

I will post some final pictures once I get finish on it.

Now guess I need to go mow the yard! :(

Well done man.  Seems like you hammered that thing out pretty quick.  That's gonna be one tough bench built out of white oak.  It looks great and it's about to change your woodworking world.  I always say that my hobby is broken into two distinct epochs: Pre-Roubo and Post-Roubo.  Work just feels different afterward, and all for the better!  Congrats!

• Like 1

Just under 2 months start to finish. I didn't think I would get it done this weekend. All the work ahead I did while waiting for hardware made all the difference. After the progress I made yesterday I was determined to finish today if possible.

Oil/varnish blend for the finish.

This looks awesome Josh. This build is definitely on my short list.

Question for those of you who use a power planer for flattening. Are you using a large stationary planer? I can't imagine a lunchbox has enough balls to push that heavy slab through - am I wrong?

This looks awesome Josh. This build is definitely on my short list.

Question for those of you who use a power planer for flattening. Are you using a large stationary planer? I can't imagine a lunchbox has enough balls to push that heavy slab through - am I wrong?

i

I used a dewalt lunchbox with roller supports on both sides and a helper. It gets u close but it wasn't perfect either.

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone! I worked hard on this project so the comments mean a lot.

Put on a coat of finish on this morning and just completed one more tonight. Think I am calling this thing done! I will post one more picture once it dries and before I start working on it.

I really like the character the hand plane left on the top! Should make for some nice grip as well.

11019df4738d9031780b6c312e6c2e63.jpg

e9260526747fe01794840285446f9ee6.jpg

Hard to believe it started out as this pile of air dried lumber. That amazement is what keeps me working wood!

95a290cb7bd1f96c873449e2316bcdff.jpg

• Like 1