Split Top Roubo

JoshC1501

After much contemplating and indecision about what bench to build, I finally made a decision and started rough cutting the lumber for my new bench yesterday.  I ended up going with the Split Top Roubo.  Its hard to beat all the resources available to help get this thing built, between the Guild Build and the Benchcrafted plans/hardware.  Ultimately that was the deciding factor.  I had considered signing up for the bench building class at the Marc Adams School this summer, because it would be a much easier build with their equipment, but in the end decided I could handle it in my shop.     

I don't have any pictures to show at this point, piles of sawdust from my circular saw and jig saw are not that exciting, but I will try to post some pictures once things progress a little further.  

I bit the bullet last night and ordered my vises and hardware from Benchcrafted.  Excited to get my hands on those!!

Now that I have all the wood in my shop, it is clear that I am going to have to focus on getting this thing completed.  I usually like to have 2-4 projects going at a time, so if I get bored on one, I can work on something else, but this thing is so massive that I don't think I will have the room for that.   

Wish me luck.  

Actually if it's flat sawn the top will have the flecks!

Maybe.  That would have to be some pretty dead-nuts flat sawn stock.  Fleck is so finicky...if the grain is off by just a few degrees from perfectly vertical, the fleck up and vanishes "like a fart in the wind." -Warden Norton

It seems most flat sawn boards have some radius to the grain and tend to be dead flat in the center but approaching rift sawn at each side.  But at least it should have nice strain grain showing on the top.  White oak is a perfectly acceptable bench species.  Hard enough to last a lifetime for sure...even out in the rain (not recommended) :) .

Welcome to the journey.  I am in the middle of the split top roubo build as well.  I'm doing to top out of LVL and the base from SYP.  I am also incorporating some walnut that has been air drying since my granddad cut the tree down 50+ years ago.  If this stupid winter would go away so that I can get a little more time in my unheated garage to work on it, I would be a much happier camper.

Welcome to the journey. I am in the middle of the split top roubo build as well. I'm doing to top out of LVL and the base from SYP. I am also incorporating some walnut that has been air drying since my granddad cut the tree down 50+ years ago. If this stupid winter would go away so that I can get a little more time in my unheated garage to work on it, I would be a much happier camper.

And where is the build log of this??

I have made some significant progress but nothing too exciting for pictures yet.  I have most of my boards jointed on one face and they are ready for the planner.  I was actually quite surprised how well they came off my little jointer.  Considered skip planning but I had some twist in a few boards so then decided to just joint them all, I have plenty of wood so that wasn't a concern.  

Once I get the tops closer to glue up, I will post some pictures.  

Going to be good to see the first official Indiana Roubo Build 

I get no respect! No respect I tell ya! :D

Completed August 2013 in... you guessed it... Indiana. LOL

Seriously though, good luck with the build, Josh. I'm with Eric, I'd like to re-live this build again. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
  • Like 1

Ha! No worries, I was just looking for an excuse to post more pictures of my bench in other people's threads! :)

Gary - those pics look like they were taken outside.  How'd you get that monster into your shop?  Is it on wheels?

(Beautiful bench btw).

Gary - those pics look like they were taken outside.  How'd you get that monster into your shop?  Is it on wheels?

(Beautiful bench btw).

I could show you how I moved it, but let's just say that I'm a member of another certain guild. ;)

yoda_zpstdryhp5w.jpg

But yeah, I use some of those little 3 wheeled triangular dolly thingies under each leg when I need to move it around. :D

I don't have any pictures to show at this point, piles of sawdust from my circular saw and jig saw are not that exciting, but I will try to post some pictures once things progress a little further. ...

Now that I have all the wood in my shop,

A pile of wood counts as a worthwhile project journal pic. Don't be a tease.

I could show you how I moved it, but let's just say that I'm a member of another certain guild. ;)

yoda_zpstdryhp5w.jpg

But yeah, I use some of those little 3 wheeled triangular dolly thingies under each leg when I need to move it around. :D

Ha! The force is strong with this one.