Split Top Roubo

JoshC1501

Brendon...put your kitchen cabinets on hold. The secret to successfully building (or refinishing or whatever you decide) your kitchen cabinets, and pretty much all future woodworking projects, is having the proper tools and especially a proper woodworker's workbench. That is what I have told my wife, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Josh...excellent progress. The end vise install looks superb. Hopefully, she spins smooth as silk.

I can't put them on hold, I've barely started thinking them through yet. I've got a solid month of procrastinating till I do something and batch them out in a few hours according to KCooper.

I already have a work bench or should I say a bench that works. It's too small and too light but it is there.

Before I dump a grand into this bench build, there are some things that severely need upgrading first. See craftsman 38" total length jointer. .I can barely joint stiles long enough for a picture frame on that thing. Decent long 8" jointer will come before bench. Can you imagine trying to joint your top lamination pieces on a jointer just over 3 feet? Me either

• Like 1

Got my table saw fixed tonight so I batched out my all the tenons.

Legs with all the mortises and holes drilled. Decided to go with permanent joinery on all legs & rails.

Here are some pictures. Legs ready for rails.

f3b0d47b5ec4403aa4f4e16730f349a4.jpg

Fine tuning tenons.

5328515d86b561ed75ccc628330173a0.jpg

First tenon fitted. Got 3 fitted tonight. All looking good.

3bf98b05209a362e7567e0d3b6ed70d8.jpg

e0eab72d8f1aad3e5cd190092087345a.jpg

That white oak is going to look Amazing once finished. I forgot how great white oak looks until last night. My vise blocks are white oak and last night I sprayed a few coats of rattle can shellac. Love the transformation.

Are you going to be pinning the tennons? Or using metal hardware? I haven't seen the plans for this bench so I'm genuinely wondering.

Had to chuckle.  It's true...I was anal about knicks, dings and scratches throughout every step of my Roubo build.  But I ain't anal no mo!...it's covered in warts.  It's only character AFTER you're done. :)

Dated a gal like that once, for about 35 minutes!

I am not sure freeing is the right word but it is definitely different. It's taken some adjustment on my part to not fret and worry about that stuff.

I still try to be careful but...

As an example my dog hole strip ended up a little high in spots after glue up so I had to use a hand plane on it. There was some grain direction changes and I now have some tear out on my bench top. It really bothered me at first.

Progress feels slow at the moment. Had a couple setbacks getting the leg vise install done. The last one has me waiting for the retro hardware from benchcrafted. I just wasn't confident in my drill press/nor did I have the bit & capacity to drill the pin holes for the Solo.

Taking the time to finish up loose ends. Got all the shelf boards milled and ship lapped. They are all a little long so I can trim once the base is assembled.

Working on the sliding deadman now.

Will post some more pics when I have time.

Looking forward to the pictures.  Seems like all of the Roubos being built now have hit a slow phase, mine included.

Looking good Josh. 

And yes, mine has hit a slow phase and I think even slower than others. With Spring comes Spring projects and getting dirt and grass seed around the building is more important than a bench right now. 

Retro hardware showed up today so I am back in business!

Was starting to make the dowels/pegs with a dowel plate I made. What a pain in the a**. Not sure how much better it is with a quality one but....

Then I remembered my brother got me a set of long plug cutters awhile back. Used them on the end grain and bam 2 1/4" cherry dowels.

That was way easier. Love it when a plan comes together!!!

ad4692595e06ec36bfa375fee46db279.jpg

Woke up early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep so I worked on my leg vise install.

Here is the Chop.

b8ffa5876fe8f6a9519df21ad54a9b52.jpg

I am basically done just need to screw the nut to the leg and cut the profile on the chop. It went together really nicely. Should be ready to start assembling the base in the next day or so.

FtrPilot, I will just give them to u if u pay shipping. Message me.

Leg vise install is done. Now to shape the chop and assemble the base. Ignore the burn marks :)

57918d3367d3d19353897bbabbeef2ab.jpg

While tedious and the taking apart and reassembling is a pain, it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected.