Tabletop joinery

rubus

No matter how expensive or inexpensive, every stile and rail door I've ever seen has a cope and stick line on the edge. I really don't see this as a flaw. I think it depends on the application and the look you are after. If you used PB's advise on a table top, and put a bread board end on the glue up, it's a non-issue, so it's solid advise. I have a bedroom set that has T&G showing on the end of the top, I think it looks sexy.

It really a matter of making the joint nearly invisible. Any questions can easily be answered just by visiting a show room. The smaller the joint the better the chance that it wont be seen but will still do its job which is to aid in registration. I also have convex and concave cutters based on a 12" diameter. Those work very well on edges that are getting and edge treatment. The mating surfaces have just enough curve to create a perfect registration point. I also have a set that makes a very wide v joint, don't like those as much just due to the set up time. There are many options, try the ones that may fit in your set ups. Obviously not every one has a shaper but there very well may be router bits that fit the bill.

One key point is very accurately dimensioned stock and a power feeder or very good featherboards plus well aligned INFEED and OUTFEED so the stock does not flex or waver.

If you are using biscuits or dominos to align boards to glue up a top be careful to get them in the center of the board. If you glue the biscuits wait at least 24 hours (or more ! ) before sanding. The moisture from the glue swells the biscuit and the surrounding wood, until this has dissapated it creates a hump, sand too soon and when the humped area dries out you will have a nasty football shaped depression.