Tabletop joinery

rubus

I have been using a biscuit joiner for laminating planks for tables. I was considering a domino joiner and was curious if this would be overkill for glueing together long grain to long grain? Do these joiners provide strength to the table top or is it just for registration?

Thanks

Shane

I do not own a domino but I do believe there would be a small amount of strength gained over biscuits. The long to long is where most of your strength is coming from, the domino or biscuit like you said is to help everything register properly and stop it from walking the glue under pressure

You're basically just using the biscuits / dominos for alignment in a panel glue up.

The Dominos do a better job for alignment t than biscuits because they are a tighter fit, but there is no way I'd buy one expressly for that purpose. The domino will however make the joiner for the rest of the table super easy.

I agree with the others - biscuits or dominos are only used for registration for this particular application. You have to make sure where you position the biscuits/dominos from the table working face - you can get print through where the shape of the tenon shows through finishes if you have been too shallow. 

You also need to make sure that in any subsequent milling operations you don't end up exposing a loose tenon. Get your planning right and all will be well.

• Like 1

I'm with the others, I wouldn't buy it for just that purpose.  I've used a biscuit joiner but I've found those to be a sloppy fit, so I'm considering alternatives like making a dowel jig or something.

Now , for other joinery it looks really useful - for that, I'd consider getting it.

Pb, that's pretty slick, so you rough mill your stock then cut oversized to account for the bead and recess you do on your shaper?

Ya just need to get the board close or semi close within an inch. The cutter makes the joint, edge joints the board and cuts it to width at the same time.

PB what about the tongue and groove router bit sets like this one? Do you have any experience with them?

Don't know Ive never used one. I would think if you kept the the joint shallow by not using the bearing it would be fine. The very shallow joint makes it nearly invisible in the end grain. The one I have I actually copied from the Stickly factory along with some others.

• Like 1

Don't know Ive never used one. I would think if you kept the the joint shallow by not using the bearing it would be fine. The very shallow joint makes it nearly invisible in the end grain. The one I have I actually copied from the Stickly factory along with some others.

I was just going to comment about the endgrain when you cut a profile. That bump would be noticeable.

-Ace-

I was just going to comment about the endgrain when you cut a profile. That bump would be noticeable.

-Ace-

Just barely if you go looking for the joint. The average person or woodworker would never notice. Go look at every stickley table or piece with a HW top like a dresser. I would guess most never knew they used them.

Just barely if you go looking for the joint. The average person or woodworker would never notice. Go look at every stickley table or piece with a HW top like a dresser. I would guess most never knew they used them.

I would think in the modern world of where we don't like our endgrain to soak in stains, dye, whatever, to become dark and hide the grain. Most modern folks burnish endgrain with sandpaper or use a sealer to slow the absorption thus would probably be very noticeable glue-line. Just stands to reason. 

-Ace-

I would think in the modern world of where we don't like our endgrain to soak in stains, dye, whatever, to become dark and hide the grain. Most modern folks burnish endgrain with sandpaper or use a sealer to slow the absorption thus would probably be very noticeable glue-line. Just stands to reason. 

-Ace-

Just the opposite that is actually a modern joint used at the Stickly factory today. Its really a matter of getting good clean joints. With the proper tooling joints are nearly invisible. Molder heads do a much better job that any jointer or saw so its in fact easier.

PB, sorry I have to disagree. :)

-Ace- 

Talk to Stickly Ace I stole the idea from them just a couple years ago. Their molder heads that perform this operation are dedicated to this job alone and perform all the functions, creating the joint, edge jointing and sizing. I think I was up front in stating the joint was a copy and performed very well,

Talk to Stickly Ace I stole the idea from them just a couple years ago. Their molder heads that perform this operation are dedicated to this job alone and perform all the functions, creating the joint, edge jointing and sizing. I think I was up front in stating the joint was a copy and performed very well,

Take a chill pill dude...I have a right to my opinion, as well as, you have right to your opinion  :rolleyes:

-Ace-

For the OP this is how its done in a real furniture factory. The video is how I do it in a small shop. If you want to give it a shot I'm sure you can come up with a pair of other bits that will get the job done. Maybe even a v groove glue line. If done right nobody will notice a tiny joint and the alignment is a non issue. 

post-5350-0-73423700-1426797136_thumb.jp

https://youtu.be/O16-vNvk7TA

For biscuits users on tabletops beware.

I had always used them to aid in glue-ups till this happened once. A biscuit had swelled on me from the glue causing the edge of the board to stand proud over the biscuits. I thought I had let the top dry down enough to sand overnight. So as the joint dried down even more, the biscuit caused a shallow divot in the wood.

-Ace-

For biscuits users on tabletops beware.

I had always used them to aid in glue-ups till this happened once. A biscuit had swelled on me from the glue causing the edge of the board to stand proud over the biscuits. I thought I had let the top dry down enough to sand overnight. So as the joint dried down even more, the biscuit caused a shallow divot in the wood.

-Ace-

Don't put glue on biscuits. If all they are being used for is registration they don't need glue.

-Ace-

No matter how expensive or inexpensive, every stile and rail door I've ever seen has a cope and stick line on the edge. I really don't see this as a flaw. I think it depends on the application and the look you are after. If you used PB's advise on a table top, and put a bread board end on the glue up, it's a non-issue, so it's solid advise. I have a bedroom set that has T&G showing on the end of the top, I think it looks sexy.