New Laguna 1412 Bandsaw

Chet

I just received, yesterday, and set up today my new Laguna bandsaw.  I have been reading the thread regarding Shaneymack's Laguna and all the crap he was dealing with, with his Laguna Bandsaw, it had me a little nervous.  Shaneymanck I hope you get it worked out.   Anyway I unpacked and assemble my saw and other then having to adjust the fence for drift, which is normal, everything went off with out a hitch.  I did some curve cuts some rips and resaws all went well.  This is my first bandsaw so I don't know what I was expecting but with what I did today I am extremely please.  It has a solid feel to it and everything I did today felt smooth and vibration free.  I think this saw will be a keeper.

The only thing I didn't get is the optional light.  If there is anybody out there that has the light I sure would like to hear your opinion of it.  I have read in some customer reviews of hitting their head on it and therefore saying it is a bad design.  I can hit my head on any number of things and its not necessarily because of bad design some times its just me not paying attention.  So I would like to hear from anyone that has it on their saw.

post-15968-0-95286800-1426815586_thumb.j

I just received, yesterday, and set up today my new Laguna bandsaw. I have been reading the thread regarding Shaneymack's Laguna and all the crap he was dealing with, with his Laguna Bandsaw, it had me a little nervous. Shaneymanck I hope you get it worked out. Anyway I unpacked and assemble my saw and other then having to adjust the fence for drift, which is normal, everything went off with out a hitch. I did some curve cuts some rips and resaws all went well. This is my first bandsaw so I don't know what I was expecting but with what I did today I am extremely please. It has a solid feel to it and everything I did today felt smooth and vibration free. I think this saw will be a keeper.

The only thing I didn't get is the optional light. If there is anybody out there that has the light I sure would like to hear your opinion of it. I have read in some customer reviews of hitting their head on it and therefore saying it is a bad design. I can hit my head on any number of things and its not necessarily because of bad design some times its just me not paying attention. So I would like to hear from anyone that has it on their saw.

attachicon.gifIMG_4501.JPG

Im glad everything went together without a hitch! Im sure my situation is not the norm! You will get years of enjoyment out of that thing.

As for the light, I would get it. Im sure id hit my head on it but i hit my head on everything so why not add a light!

Im glad everything went together without a hitch! Im sure my situation is not the norm! You will get years of enjoyment out of that thing.

As for the light, I would get it. Im sure id hit my head on it but i hit my head on everything so why not add a light!

Yeah, everybody needs new bumps and scars, it's the only proof we have that we're not perfect woodworkers!

That's good to hear, Chet. I have the same saw on order, well, back-order anyway. Always makes me nervous to see bad reports from others while I wait for mine to ship. I'm sure that situation was more of an anomaly.

I did order the light kit for mine, so I'll be sure to let you know if hit my head on it.

Congrats on the new saw Chet!  You'll enjoy it.  I notice how you took that picture....that beautiful Craftsman tool box and that sexy table saw/dust collection/out feed table set up.....make me kinna inspired. :)

Yea Tim it wasn't necessarily a posed picture, it was setting there because I wanted to give it a try and haven't run any duct work for its final resting spot so I had it close to the quick connect.  You missed the jointer and planer in the back ground :P

That's good to hear, Chet. I have the same saw on order, well, back-order anyway. Always makes me nervous to see bad reports from others while I wait for mine to ship. I'm sure that situation was more of an anomaly.

I did order the light kit for mine, so I'll be sure to let you know if hit my head on it.

I and went ahead ordered the light kit yesterday while it was still on sale.  If nothing else it has cool factor to its appearance 

I just got my saw with the light kit and it does cast out a shadow. It fixed a little too close to the base so the light hits the height adjustment crank resulting in a shadow over the cut. I may rig an extension block to push the light out further from the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my saw with the light kit and it does cast out a shadow. It fixed a little too close to the base so the light hits the height adjustment crank resulting in a shadow over the cut. I may rig an extension block to push the light out further from the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey hoser,  One thing I noticed in the Laguna website video about the assembly of 1412, the guy doing the video mounts the light turned 90 degrees from the way they show in the actual manual so the elbow on the light allows you to move the light left and right instead of up and down.  I wonder if this rotation would get rid of the shadow.

Yea Tim it wasn't necessarily a posed picture, it was setting there because I wanted to give it a try and haven't run any duct work for its final resting spot so I had it close to the quick connect.  You missed the jointer and planer in the back ground :P

I and went ahead ordered the light kit yesterday while it was still on sale.  If nothing else it has cool factor to its appearance 

Nooooo...I saw the 735 (I have one and love it!) and the [i think] general jointer. ;)