Coffee Pourover Station

wouldwurker

See below, but note I might be switching to Arm-R-Seal. Not sure what I want to do yet. The above pic was on test boards.

No sealer.

I don't apply Watco Butcher Block in the way you would on a butcher block, as I like to create a really thick film with the last coat.

First coat gets flooded, rubbed in pretty aggressively with a rag and wiped off with a clean rag after 15 minutes.

Second coat same as the first, but wiped off clean after 5 minutes, as it'll tack up much quicker. Since it's mahogany, I'll likely use a 1000g Abelron pad (mirka) to rub it on and do a little slurry pore filling.

Third coat goes on wet and thick, like Arm-R-Seal. I give the last coat 48 hours to cure.

Very little fume off time.

Quick question about glue/epoxy.

Will epoxy bond ok to a finished surface?

More detailed question below:

Because I'm going to use West Systems epoxy for my ebony plugs after the parts are all finished (Watco Butcher Block), I thought it would just be easier to use epoxy for the dominos as well (and the connecting surfaces). Also, maybe a just a little tiny bit of it on the finger joints, before they get screwed in.

So my question(s):

- I've been a bit more 'reckless' with my first round of prefinishing, knowing that I'd likely use epoxy in lieu of glue. As such I figured it was better to have finish on a joinery surface then to potentially not have even finish on the surrounding areas (tape lines, etc). So of course there are little drips into the mortises here and there and I rubbed finish on the finger joints entirely.

Safe to assume that epoxy won't pose any problems sticking to a finished surface? I'm also assuming that Titebond WOULD have a problem sticking to a finished surface.

- I read that epoxy isn't a great choice for dominos, as their tight fit and 'rigid line' surface isn't suited well for a strong epoxy bond - which makes sense to me. The suggestion was to sand down the dominos a tad, which also makes sense to me. Any issues here?

- I also made this decision based on the fact that I don't want to stress over glue squeeze-out on my finished surface, in the event I'd like to touch up the finish.

Thanks....I hope that was still an 'easy quick question'

Looks awesome Vinny!  I can't get over how good that finish looks.  Can't wait to see how this thing looks fully assembled.

On another note - are you the "Vinny from Atlanta" with voicemails on the last two Woodtalk episodes?  I suspect there may be more than one person named Vinny in Atlanta, but I figured I'd ask...

Haha. Yeah. Couldn't believe how lousy my Bluetooth connection was on that voicemail.

Also, I'm not just the only Vinny in Atlanta..pretty sure i'm the only (half) Italian.

Haha - I've had a few voicemails played on woodtalk and I wince every time I hear myself.  Between the "um" and "uh" and the horrible sound of my voice on the phone, I want to smash my radio.

Couple notes on prefinishing and using west system epoxy in lieu of titebond glue on this one.

- worked out well on the lower shelf, as the squeeze out created a silicon caulk-like seal. I was worried about water getting between that joint, and this was a surprise bonus fix.

- it's clear, which means if you do get a little weaponized epoxy drip here and there, you don't see it. That kind of sucks.

- I used 'fast' hardener instead of slow. Slow would have been preferable. I was all set up with my assembly line when I realized I'd yet to chisel the taper in my plugs. By the time I realized a few of them were too proud for my liking, I couldn't get the darn things out.

- I had an absolute perfect fit in my finger joints. After I added 3 coats of finish...it was TIGHT. In fact, it was so tight I couldn't pry it apart after I tested it..which meant I never got any epoxy under the fingers.

- this third coat of watco butcher block is killing me. It's still ever so slightly tacky and I applied it on Sunday. It is curing...albeit slowly.

- I love the west system pumps, but I wasted a lot of epoxy. Especially with my using the Fast hardener. I threw away 4 epoxy hockey pucks. I wish they made pumps with half the volume.