Dozuki recommendation?

Cliff

So just out of curiousity - when you guys are doing dovetails, and you flip the board on the side to cut the waste on the edges, you use a crosscut saw? or you just use your dovetail saw even though it's not really built for it? 

I use a crosscut saw for the edges - a Japanese Ryoba as it happens - keep all saws in reach and you won't be tempted to use the wrong tool.

I do have several mass produced, induction hardened Japanese saws but don't use them for dovetailing as the set on the blades is wider than the plate leading to a wider kerf. Instead I use a Veritas dovetail pull saw from their dovetailing guide system (I haven't used the guide for years but it's ok for newbies to dovetailing - that said it's best to learn without guides IMHO) which has almost zero set on it. You can buy the saw separately from the guide system http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=41718&cat=1,42884 for similar cost to a mass produced Japanese saw.

That particular saw works well in all hardwoods, cuts dovetails really neatly (despite not having a back stiffener - tension on the blade when pulling keeps it straight and true) whereas the Japanese pull saws are intended for softwood - even though you can use them quite well on hardwoods.

The choice is yours but remember not to push on a pull saw at all as you will bend the blade and render it useless.

• Like 1