Dozuki recommendation?

Cliff

Anyone have an opinion on this? 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DSY7G6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=OFJVVLZN5RCM&coliid=I13D4MC3DBJLCP

I think I want to try dovetails, and honestly it's one thing that seems way easier to do by hand than with a machine. I don't need the best or anywhere near the best, I just don't want to be frustrated. I'm thinking of trying the whole 30 dovetails in 30 days thing.

I also wouldn't mind a recommendation for a good general purpose hand saw and a coping saw, if you are feeling generous. Again, decent but not something I want to spend a lot of money on. 

Is this a thing? I've never heard of it

It's a thing on reddit that people talk of from time to time. The idea being to prep 30 sets and do one a day and take pics to gauge your progress and speed. Since pine is cheap and I've never done a dovetail, I am thinking of trying it out. 

Not sure if it originated here or not, on popular woodworking? http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/joinery/a-dovetail-a-day-%E2%80%93-hurray

I would practice in hard maple.  If you can dovetail in hard maple you can dovetail in anything.  Pine will give you a false sense of success since the fibers will just mush into submission.  Poplar the same to a lesser extent.

The 30 dovetails in 30 days is a great idea.

I tried dovetailing with a dozuki once...hated it.  It felt awkward and imprecise.  But some guys love them.  I think western saws are easier to learn to cut straight with, but on the other hand, the pull cut on the Japanese saws is also an advantage when you're getting started.

• Like 1

I would practice in hard maple.  If you can dovetail in hard maple you can dovetail in anything.  Pine will give you a false sense of success since the fibers will just mush into submission.  Poplar the same to a lesser extent.

The 30 dovetails in 30 days is a great idea.

I tried dovetailing with a dozuki once...hated it.  It felt awkward and imprecise.  But some guys love them.  I think western saws are easier to learn to cut straight with, but on the other hand, the pull cut on the Japanese saws is also an advantage when you're getting started.

Thanks for the suggestion. It wouldn't really cost that much more to use maple because I can just cut the pins and tails off the previous days adventures and start anew. Since it's not for a project I have no reason to hold on to them.

Sounds like I may have to just get a saw and see if I like it. My reason for the japanese style was that I read you can get a better quality saw for cheaper.

Can you recommend a similar quality western style dovetail saw? In case I end up not liking the Japanese style?

I have to disagree with Eric, for once. I find the pull saw much easier to keep straight.

It's the grip on the Japanese saws that makes things awkward for me.  I do like the pull cut, but once you learn the proper way to hold a western saw it becomes a non-issue.  You should hold a saw like you're holding a baby bird...just enough so you don't drop it.  The weight of the saw should be doing all the work...you're only guiding it with your hand.  If you're strangling the handle you won't get good results.

Thanks for the suggestion. It wouldn't really cost that much more to use maple because I can just cut the pins and tails off the previous days adventures and start anew. Since it's not for a project I have no reason to hold on to them.

Sounds like I may have to just get a saw and see if I like it. My reason for the japanese style was that I read you can get a better quality saw for cheaper.

Can you recommend a similar quality western style dovetail saw? In case I end up not liking the Japanese style?

The Veritas DT saw is like sixty-something bucks if I remember correctly.  That's pretty cheap for a saw you could probably use for the rest of your life.  Lie-Nielsens are closer to a hundred I think.  Maybe $120?  Still cheap in the woodworking world.

You'll probably end up with both anyway.  I use a dozuki occasionally for odds and ends when it feels like a better fit for a certain task.  Can't explain that decision...I just grab it sometimes.

The best thing would be to go to a store or show where you can demo both.

Sadly there is no such store around me unless there is one in Chicago - which is a 3 hour trip. One I make a few times per year, but still, I tend to visit BBQ joints instead of woodworking stores. :D

$60 isn't too much to pay. I think $120 would be. At least for my purposes. I'm not ready, I think, to purchase a handsaw for a couple of weeks, so no need for me to decide right this second!

Back to agreeing with Eric again, cut quality IS all about the grip. Unlike Eric, I find the correct grip easier to achieve with my pull saw. Other aspects come into play here, like bench height and work holding methods. Pull saws seem easier to use when the work is lower. Remember that traditional Japanese woodworkers use benches that are little more than slabs of wood resting on the floor, with a planing stop on one end.

I have a Z-Saw dozuki, I love it. It's my go to for most any cut that needs a good clean finish and small kerf. As far as Western vs Japanese saws is concerned, I find I have better control with a Dozuki than a western saw. I do have a western style backsaw for guitar fret kerfs, though it could also be used as a dovetail saw. 

• Like 1

Alas, there is no Woodcraft in Peoria. Only one in IL is woodridge.. not sure exactly where that it is but it's a 630 area code so it's Chicago suburbs.

But yeah, I could schedule a trip up there and do exactly what you suggest.

There is definitely a wood store there. I haven't been though. I guess there are monthly meetings on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. So I do plan on going there. I'm just trying to land a job in Peoria instead of the Quad Cities so it's not so far out of my way from work.

• Like 1

Alas, there is no Woodcraft in Peoria. Only one in IL is woodridge.. not sure exactly where that it is but it's a 630 area code so it's Chicago suburbs.

But yeah, I could schedule a trip up there and do exactly what you suggest.

It's way SW Chicago burbs...only Woodcraft in Chicagoland (one in NW burbs closed).   There's also a Rockler nearish Woodfield Mall area...and that's all we got anywhere around...kinda sad.

More opinions from my peanut gallery.

I did the 30 in 30 test as well...lasted 6 days but saw major improvement. Check out Gary Rogowski's 'dovetail warmup' article (should be easy to find)

100% agree with the 'no pine' note. When I switched to poplar, things got easier.

When I switched from that exact dozuki to the LN (non angled) dovetail saw things got WAY easier. Substantial and immediate improvement.

Bandsawing out the waste, especially two non angled end cuts, speed things along nicely.

• Like 1

It's way SW Chicago burbs...only Woodcraft in Chicagoland (one in NW burbs closed).   There's also a Rockler nearish Woodfield Mall area...and that's all we got anywhere around...kinda sad.

Well now we're talking. I always go up to Woodfield Mall to hit Texas De Brazil for my birthday every year. Of course that isn't until January. 

I still have lots of reasons to go up, but am always busy now. I lived there for 11 years (all over the suburbs) and miss a lot of stuff.