Exterior Door Repair

April Wilkerson suggests using table salt from a salt shaker on glued surfaces to keep the pieces from sliding around.  I've never tried it, myself.  I like the blue tape idea.  Another trick is to put some brads into the door and clip off the heads, leaving just a little point slightly proud of the surface.

Ooooh, I could use a micro pinner! I almost bought one at Woodcraft when it was on sale last month just because I thought it was cool, but thought nah, wait until I have a use for it if ever. Ever might just be now. 4 in stock. Yay!

Since it is getting painted I have pinned the patch in place with a few 23 gauge micro pins . Then caul and clamps. Harbor freight has a pretty decent little gun for about $25 I have several of them. We keep different length pins in each gun. The holes are so tiny they are easy to fill and become invisible under paint.

• Like 1

Better luck today with the glue up. I switched to Titebond II and reglued the small patch of yesterday using blue tape to hold it in place while I micro pinned it followed by cauls and clamps. That went well so I carried on and glued the larger piece. That went great, too! I'm off to Marc Adams for a class this weekend so won't get to do more work on it until Sunday, but I will remove clamps tomorrow to take a peek.

Funny story of today, I brought home the micro pinner (Freeman from Woodcraft, got your note Steve about Harbor Freight too late but thanks), read the directions, hooked it up, shoots air fine but no pins. Big notice in the box that says DO NOT RETURN TO RETAILER! In case of questions, concerns and trouble shooting call: their 1 888 number. Okay, I have no idea how one could mess this up but it said to call so I did. Tech asks me did I put pins in the bottom? Well, I put pins in the tray that is at the bottom of the tool. No, did you put pins in from the bottom? Say what? Turn it upside down and put pins in the slot. Oh. That made a big difference! So I guess it doesn't load like a stapler and there is nothing in the literature that said to turn it upside down. I'm guessing I'm not the first person to call, hence the DO NOT RETURN notice. They could update the directions right there with the NO NOT RETURN note, but then I guess the guy at the call center would be out of a job.

• Like 1

your progress looks good, just one question, what caused the damage to the door ? I would hate to see all the work you done get damage, if it was sun baked and just ignored over the years, or was it water damage? If it was from water damage were you able to correct the problem? just food for thought,

• Like 1

Too late for this but a tip for future reference...

You can also take pins or small brads and drive them partially into the surface that will receive the glue and mating piece  Snip them off all but flush, leaving about 1/32-1/16 of the pin proud of the surface.  The heads will bite into the mating workpiece and keep it from sliding around, but the nails will be beneath the surface and invisible.  Obviously you couldn't do this with true veneer, but it looks like you would have had enough thickness.

• Like 1

your progress looks good, just one question, what caused the damage to the door ? I would hate to see all the work you done get damage, if it was sun baked and just ignored over the years, or was it water damage? If it was from water damage were you able to correct the problem? just food for thought,

Good point. This door is exposed to the elements, no overhang to speak of, so it does get wet and sun. But worse than that is the guys who built the deck put a threshold in front of the actual threshold. It is taller than the real threshold and it traps leaves and water behind it against the door. Gotta fix that ASAP. Thanks!

• Like 1

Veneer patches worked well. I have sanded transitions, sealed and filled gaps, cracks, and the bottom of the door with epoxy, sanded to fair. The West epoxy 105/205 worked great and the bottom of the door is totally sealed and smooth. I have a couple of small spots to fill that I missed and then I think the door is ready for primer and paint!

IMG_1547a.thumb.jpg.ec73f08b60c80b1d3bd9