Buy Wood In Connecticut

tedfmcm

Being a CT woodworker, I was curious where any other folks went to pick up their wood in the area.  So far I've been going to Parkerville Wood in Manchester, CT but was curious if I'm missing out or if this is the best around.  I live in West Hartford so the closer to central CT the better.

Thanks!

Hi Ted.  I'm also in CT but down in Greenwich. 

I've bought wood from Rob at Board Silly in Ridgefield - it's a crazy place - like a big muddy lot with piles of huge logs, but I got some beautiful ambrosia maple there that he dried in the kiln for me.  It's 318 Ethan Allen Highway (Rt 7) in Ridgefield - phone is 203 438 3631).  I've also gone to ML Condon in White Plains, NY (I know that's not much help!).

There's a Downes and Reader outlet in Milford that I've been meaning to go to - we used to live in the Boston area and I'd go to their place in Stoughton, MA.  I always had great luck there.  Here's the website:  http://www.downesandreader.com/

How's Parkerville Wood?

• Like 1

There's a Downes and Reader outlet in Milford that I've been meaning to go to - we used to live in the Boston area and I'd go to their place in Stoughton, MA.  I always had great luck there.  Here's the website:  http://www.downesandreader.com/

I live in the Boston area and go to the Stoughton Downes and Reader.  But my wife is from Milford CT, so i recently visited their Milford store.  It's great.  Just as big as the Stoughton one.  Great selection and the employees are super nice and helpful.  Highly recommend.  Worth the short drive from West Hartford.

• Like 1

Ok great, thanks for the feedback.

Parkerville is good...have a pretty decent selection of 6/4 but not too much of the thicker Curly Maple boards as I would like, at least last time I went.  I'm sure they can do special orders may have more now and the staff is nice and helpful.

Head up to Stamford to the hilton.  Walk out the back patio and look left.  There, fallen right at the wood line, is the biggest cherry tree I have ever seen in my life. It's been laying there for at least the last  3 years.  Boom wood. 

dangerously close to our house!  be right back!

Connecticut Wood Group in Enfield is my favorite.

http://cwghardwoodoutlet.com/

I occasionally buy materials from Parkerville, as I dealt with the owner's former company in another location (Harris) for many years, but I prefer the way CWG leaves me alone to pick though the stacks.  I don't like having an employee "present for consideration" potential boards to me as Parkerville does.   I ALWAYS leave the bins neat at CWG, I don't know if everyone does the same, and I don't know if they leave everyone alone in the racks...  However, if you're relatively new at this, the folks who pull material at Parkerville might be a good resource for you, if you describe your project and needs, as they pull stock for the in-house projects and have some knowledge.  

CWG can also retail you nearly anything in Atlantic Plywood's catalog with a bit of notice.   CWG is also a manufacturer of mouldings, flooring, stakes, shims, even wood pellets...  and they appear to cull stacks more often than other dealers I've used over the years.  Years ago, I had them run hundreds of feet of red oak moldings, including long lengths of three piece baseboards and door and window casings, as I remodeled my home.  The quality was fantastic, it was stretch wrapped and ready to go when I arrived, and far less expensive than yards and home centers. 

Gibson J McIlvain (Shannon Rogers employer) has a Danielson location, but I haven't been inside, only flown over it...  ;^)

If you need milling and plan to go to CWG on a Friday morning, call ahead and make sure the surfacer is running.   They often do machine maintenance, like knife swaps, on Friday mornings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hit Downes & Reader in Milford today - it was only 45 minutes from our house, for some reason I thought Milford was much farther away. 

They had a nice selection of wood in good dimensions (I bought some 16/4 soft maple to turn into chunky candlesticks on the lathe).  They had about a dozen live edge slabs around the floor of different varieties - there was an elm slab that was amazing but I think it was $900!  They also had a few good deals on shorts - some 6' maple and cherry for $3.20-3.50 / bf.

They're in an industrial building (with a bunch of bays for semi trailers) - and their lumber is all indoor, so I think it'll be nice to go there in the winter.  They have a big loading bay and I was able to back my truck right in and load it up.

Maybe it was just because it was a slow week day, but I found the guys that work there really friendly, patient and helpful.  I'll definitely be back.

• 1 year later...