which air cleaner jet or powermatic?

tcarswell

I built the air scrubber from the Bill Pentz site for under $300 easy.  There's no switch or timer to it, I just plug it in.  When I want a timer, I just use a Christmas light timer.  Anyhow, you can see from the monitor that the air is pretty clean in the shop, but it sky rockets quickly when I start working.  The respirator is the way to go, and it only comes off when the monitor confirms the filter has done it's job.  

Cleaning is easy, just reverse airflow through it with it outside away from the house (once a year).

filter

monitor

Hand sanding with a hose attached is a little cumbersome, but if you do want to go that way Mirka also makes hand sanding blocks that connect to a vac.  A lot cheaper than the Festool versions and they work well for what they are.  Either way, I'd still look at a downdraft box if I were you.

Mirka 5" Block

Mirka 7-1/2" Block

Thanks guys ! I went with a bill pentz scrubber for now. I'll see how it works when the filter arrives ! (200 bucks ouch.....) but i have a 850 cfm vortex fan so it should do the trick. With more air flow and better filtration than a hanging unit. Probably noisier though .  

Lmao at Eric's comment

Edited by tcarswell

I believe it's important to provide clean filtered air where I'm standing/working so I've positioned Powermatic air cleaners to exhaust the filtered air at the primary workstations.  I use a downdraft table for hand sanding and always collect dust from power tools and sanders via dust collectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Jet worth buying? A friend of a friend has given up woodworking due to health problems and I can buy his for $75.

Yep... Buy it! I paid 100 for mine, the guy used it as a dust collector, used to wheel it from tool to tool and would capture whatever flew near it. He finally wised up and bought a real dust collector and sold the Jet. 

I just bought the filter he recommended at wynn environmental and bought a fantech unit oddly from a local grow shop. I had an old fantech unit but it wasn't balanced well.

Yep... Buy it! I paid 100 for mine, the guy used it as a dust collector, used to wheel it from tool to tool and would capture whatever flew near it. He finally wised up and bought a real dust collector and sold the Jet. 

that's madness.   Good thing he wised up .