Gaming Dining Table Ideas

Hey guys. For those who don't know, we just released a preliminary sketch of the table on the Guild website. So download it and have fun. But keep in mind, it truly is preliminary. In fact, we are in the process of making a few major changes to specifically address concerns raised in this post and email. So, keep the ideas rolling. You just might find your idea incorporated into the core design.

• Like 1

I saw a card table recently that had all 4 sides curved gently inwards so when sat at it each player was closer to the centre of the table. It was all enveloping and looked very organic. I didn't get chance to take a picture but the top was also inlayed.

Edited by TerryMcK

Hello, currently the only customization I have planned is to increase the width to accommodate average fat american size.  Our current table is square at 54" which works well for two people per side so 54-56" is what i'm aiming for.  As Marc has pointed out that raises a bunch of issues since the bottom plywood panel is maxed out at 48".  My initial idea is to add in strips of maple probably biscuit joined to push out the width.  I've attached a sketchup.  

I'm fairly unskilled, so i have a lot of fears.  Mainly that I won't be able to do a proper edge to edge glue up, after which at some point the table collapse in multiple points and goes through the floor.  The bottom supports that are in the plans give me a little bit of reassurance, but I'd like to know if this is a completely wrong headed way to go about things?

Thanks for reading!

gaming-dining-table (3)x.png

@Ross52:  Don't forget, plywood is 48" wide, but 96" long.  Especially if you are going to veneer, but even if you aren't, you can cut your 54"-56" Plywood strips out of solid ply.  I would recommend against laminating plywood using biscuits, especially on a table.  The torque those seams will experience from just a person push off to stand up, or leaning in on is pretty substantial.  If you have kids, you can bet one will be sitting or standing on the table at some point.  

You will use more plywood if you cut length wise, but your structural integrity would be much greater because of the cross grain action within the ply itself.  If you do choose to laminate, I would strongly suggest some kind of bracing structure running the width of the table, between your top and the next surface of the table to spread any exceptional forces that may incur back out to the perimeter.  

I am still undecided on the inset top.  With the inserts being plywood there shouldn't be movement but the rails are wood, shouldn't they experience movement which could potentially cause gaps or tightness for the inserts?

What do y'all think about a full "real" table top of wood that sits on top of the rails and is attached/removed somehow?

I wouldn't worry about expansion much. As Ross said, some of the expansion is directed outward and realistically, there won't be much expansion and contraction over a 4" span of wood. The inserts won't be a piston fit anyway as that would make them difficult to remove.

The full solid top is definitely an option that some would be interested in. The key is making it removable and securable (is that a word?).

Here is a thought for detachable legs.  A thick dowel and a second smaller dowel to key the joint and ensure is doesn't twist.  A squared floating tenon would work better without the need for a key.  Squared tenon would be a bit harder, but a better stronger option.  The dowels are fast and easy.  Using a contrasting wood on the joint to help camouflage the seam.

Detachable Legs.jpg

Color Leg Shot.jpg

Edited by Chris H

Here is a thought for detachable legs.  A thick dowel and a second smaller dowel to key the joint and ensure is doesn't twist.  A squared floating tenon would work better without the need for a key.  Squared tenon would be a bit harder, but a better stronger option.  The dowels are fast and easy.  Using a contrasting wood on the joint to help camouflage the seam.

I was thinking about making the top of legs side into pockets (giant square tenons) and the would be screwed in using standard 45 degree table leg hardware.  The apron joinery would be to the pockets.  For me, I think I need to come up with a way of doing detachable legs.  I'd hate to not be able to move it into another house.

If I were going that route I'd leave out the key and  make it a wedged tenon.  That way I can tap in the wedge to keep the joint nice and tight.

How would you execute a wedge tenon? I was thinking it would interfere with perpendicular tenon in each leg, as well as be blocked from access because the aprons are tight to the frame around the top. I've only ever seen a wedged tenon on a through tenon on things like a trestle table. Is there another way I am not thinking of? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The full solid top is definitely an option that some would be interested in. The key is making it removable and securable (is that a word?).

I was thinking about essentially screwing batons on the underside so that it rested inside the gaming area.  The weight should keep it in place I would think.  I don't know how to keep wood movement of the top from shifting the batons such that the fit was too tight or too loose, however?  Also a full covered top would let you cut cup holders directly into the aprons if you wanted as the top would cover those when not gaming.  

If I can figure a way to do this reasonably I will probably go the full top route as it will look better for dining table and be just as good for gaming.

Well, there isn't a plan yet. That said, after this is built I will indeed have a mismatched set of chairs to go with my new table. So it isn't out of the question. And depending on how things go this Winter, the accompanying chairs could very well end up on the free site.