Xmas Ideas

CJC5151

For the past six years ive been making xmas presents for the the same 10 women. (wife, mom, mominlaw, 2 sisters, 3 sisterinlaws, and 2 aunts) I make them all the same items every year. Its sort of become a tradition. The problem is im really stuck this year. Ive made cuttingboards, cheese trays, salad bowls, serving trays, picture frames, keepsake boxes, and im usually at the finishing stage by now so im sort of freaking out. So i thought id ask you guys what presents you are making. Thanks for the help

For the past six years ive been making xmas presents for the the same 10 women. (wife, mom, mominlaw, 2 sisters, 3 sisterinlaws, and 2 aunts) I make them all the same items every year. Its sort of become a tradition. The problem is im really stuck this year. Ive made cuttingboards, cheese trays, salad bowls, serving trays, picture frames, keepsake boxes, and im usually at the finishing stage by now so im sort of freaking out. So i thought id ask you guys what presents you are making. Thanks for the help

Hey Santa ,

You are way behind schedule, this might be the year for gift cards, sit back and relax instead of stressing out.

Copyof12_15_20081_25PM_0001.jpg12_15_20081_32PM_0003.jpgCopyof12_15_20081_25PM_0002.jpg9fore-mail5.jpg

Maybe next year.

Pens? Buy the pen kit and drill out and shape the barrels. The usual way to do this is with a lathe, but you could whittle the barrels or shape them however you like. I spoke to a couple who just assemble the pen kits without any wood - just the brass tubes and shiny hardware. How about wooden dice? Or Jenga blocks? Or an egg timer - think hourglass (buy the timer, make the frame).

That was a good brainstorming session. Thanks for the kick-start, guys.

... or book ends. These two are just fascinating...

Abanico and Stonehenge

Yeah Seth Rolands stuff is pretty amazing isnt it. The wine holers are cake to make if you ave a tilting table for a drill press. cut end on 45, drill hole on 45 actualls 40 works great i made about 50 of them last weekend and sell them for 15 bucks at art shows. Beats throwing your scrap away or burning it

I've been making excuses and sawdust for my family...

For the younger ones, I'm trying to do some Harry Potter inspired wands, but they aren't working like I wanted to. I'm going to have to learn (one day) not to use 1/2" poplar dowels to start...

And for the one couple that has fireplaces (2 in one house, plus an outdoor one...) I'm going to pack the sawdust in something flammable. (I swear my brother in law is more of a pyro than I am. :D )

How did you do that foot? Is that hand carved, or powered?

Hey A J,

It is a combination of both. Here is a short video about how I went about building the Footstool, I think the part about turning the leg starts about 10 minutes into the video. The long and short of it is that you rough out the leg and create the ball and then offset the center at the ball side and turn the transition area ( ankle-knee ) , then carve the claw if you want.

Thanks for asking.

Dave

http://blip.tv/play/AYGDsTYA

And for the one couple that has fireplaces (2 in one house, plus an outdoor one...) I'm going to pack the sawdust in something flammable.

Packing the sawdust in paraffin is nice for people with fireplaces. Melt down a bunch of candle stubs, or buy paraffin if you need to. Fill cupcake tins half way with liquid wax, and stir in nice clean sawdust. I try to avoid pressure treated. Let cool, and use them to start fires in the fireplace.

For my nieces one year, I cut a bunch of Cedar heartwood into 3/4" cubes. I wrapped the cubes, about a dozen per, in an open weave material. (I think it was called chiffon) They asked what it was for, I explained that it was for their underware drawer. I was told by a very indignant 12 year old that her underware "did NOT smell bad". This same niece, now 22 yeard old, called me asking if I would make her some of the underware drawer cachets for her to give as gifts.

I'm making necklace holders for the women in my life. Turned out to be a pretty easy project once I figured out how to make it easy. Basically, I took a small piece of Tiger Maple (about 3 inches, wide, 6-7 inches long, and 1/2" thick) and cut a mortise into it. Into that mortise I placed a 1/4" thick piece of Walnut (about 5 inches wide and 12-14 inches tall). Then, about an inch from the top, I glued a thin strip of Tiger Maple (about an inch wide). I'm waiting for some interesting looking hooks from Lee Valley which I will install into the Tiger Maple strip (and on which the receivers of these beauties will place their necklaces)...I'd say that Maple strip is totally optional, but I thought it looked nice. The dimensions are all fuzzy too--whatever looks good...I spent the most time beveling the edges with my block plane to give it a nice look. If you're interested, I can try to post pictures later...

I'm making necklace holders for the women in my life. Turned out to be a pretty easy project once I figured out how to make it easy. Basically, I took a small piece of Tiger Maple (about 3 inches, wide, 6-7 inches long, and 1/2" thick) and cut a mortise into it. Into that mortise I placed a 1/4" thick piece of Walnut (about 5 inches wide and 12-14 inches tall). Then, about an inch from the top, I glued a thin strip of Tiger Maple (about an inch wide). I'm waiting for some interesting looking hooks from Lee Valley which I will install into the Tiger Maple strip (and on which the receivers of these beauties will place their necklaces)...I'd say that Maple strip is totally optional, but I thought it looked nice. The dimensions are all fuzzy too--whatever looks good...I spent the most time beveling the edges with my block plane to give it a nice look. If you're interested, I can try to post pictures later...

Pictures please! Sounds interesting and I'm having a hard time envisioning it.

How about making each of them a matching pen/pencil set. It doesn't take all that much time to make them, and you can make them unique for each one of them. I'm making a few sets of them this year for a lady at my work to give to her family for Christmas. She seems to enjoy the couple of sets I've been able to give her so far.

Packing the sawdust in paraffin is nice for people with fireplaces. Melt down a bunch of candle stubs, or buy paraffin if you need to. Fill cupcake tins half way with liquid wax, and stir in nice clean sawdust. I try to avoid pressure treated. Let cool, and use them to start fires in the fireplace.

Have you made these. Sounds easy. is it safe, does it work well and is parafin the best wax to use

I've made these, and I liked using them to start fires. Paraffin is what candles are made out of. I don't know if it's "the best", but it works. As far as safety, don't use any sawdust that you wouldn't burn in your fireplace (pressure treated, toxic woods), and keep an eye on the wax when you are melting it - like any cooking.

You can use just about anything as molds as long as it can take some heat. Paraffin is non-toxic (it's also used in canning and in foods) so you can wash the molds out and use them for food. I'd use a mold that I can flex to pop them out. I thjink when I last made them I used disposable foil cupcake cups. There are also silicone cupcake cups. If they are designed to be baked, they can handle some hot wax.

You want all the sawdust to be soaked in wax, and all the wax to be absorbed in sawdust. It's fast and easy.