Veritas MKII Narrow Blade Honing Guide review

TerryMcK

Nice review Terry.  I bought one last year when they first came out and, like you, I ordered the entire jig so I could keep my regular MKII dedicated to wider blades.  I haven't done a ton of sharpening with mine yet but so far I agree with your thoughts...it's a quality unit and a nice addition to my sharpening station.

Good review!

Instead of buying a whole 2nd kit, I bought the head and the camber roller.  The camber roller now lives primarily on the standard head (mostly used for plane blades) and I moved the straight roller to the narrow head to keep my chisel corners nice and crisp.

The camber roller did NOT come with the thumb screw and washer.  I wound up having to call LV support and order those separately.  The person I talked to said they had many customers who were surprised it didn't come with them and they were considering including the thumb screw with the camber roller in a future revision.

The reason for the micro-bevel not being a parallel line is that the knob only adjusts one end of the roller - the other end remains centered. That results in a straight edge at a slight angle.

I have to disagree with you there sjk. Have a look again at your roller. The main shaft running through the middle has been turned so the protruding spigots (tenons) on the end are eccentric to the centre of the roller. The resulting offset is the same at both ends of the roller. Turning the indent knob rotates the entire shaft around the spigot centres. The roller is still in the same plane as the spigots but its axis is offset slightly from the spigot axis. Consequently the roller moves parallel when adjusted. Same as a crank shaft in an engine.

eccentric.JPG.8ea8b13c454e886463d56b972c

• Like 1

• 1 month later...