Making a downdraft Sanding table

Dman7474

Has anyone ever made a downdraft table for sanding? I am thinking of making one for my shop. I am fortunate that space is not an issue for me. I have no problem with making a table. My question is would I be able to utilize my dust collection system to use with the table? I have a 5HP cyclone dust collection system. I feel like I could design the table to use my system to extract the dust etc. However, I am not smart enough to know before building it if my dust collection system would work? I am not strong enough to figure out the science behind the air flow etc... Has anyone done anything like this? Maybe I am over thinking this.

I built a simple box and used 1/4" peg board on the top. Used 2 1/2" pipe to pull it in the dust collecter. Nothing scientific about it, you just need a down draft.

Heres a link to the one I built. I didnt use the top they sell remember I used that hard board peg board stuff.

http://www.rockler.com/images/Down_Draft_Ezplan.pdf

Thanks for the reply. That link you posted is the basic concept of what I was going to build. My table will be 40" high 32" deep and 72" long with a 4" dust port. I will use the same type of design as the link and will use the peg board like you did. I beleive I will pull enough volume with my system even with the larger surface area. Just hate to spend the time and $ to find out I am wrong...

here is a link to one i was considering building, but now i'm like you, in that i now have dust collection system. maybe this concept can be adapted with the DCS. http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/plansshare/air_filter_downdraft_sanding_table.htm

Yes that is what I am talking about. Seems like I could use my DCS rather than have to purchase a separate impeller. I will give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent my money on a festool sander and dust extractor instead. I am limited on space and the combo works great for me.

Shawn

I had a down draft table, got the Festool sander and CT Vac, never used my downdraft table again.

I think with your surface area, a 4" port will not be sufficient to move enough air.

I'm in the vac and sand group. I hook up a 2" pipe to the PC ROS and sand away. Recently I rigged up a temporary boom (a rope hanging from the ceiling) that really keeps the cord and vac pipe out of the way, as well as greatly reducing fatigue.

Craig I have the capacity to go up to 6" port if needed. I will look into the Festool system. But I do a lot of hand sanding so figured a downdraft table would kill two birds with one stone. I will take a look at the Festool system and see if it would work for me though. Thanks for the input.

Mirka makes hand sanding blocks in a variety of profiles/sizes with a dust port on them. I believe a Festool hose can connect to them with no adapter. They also sell hoses and adapters for other vacs. Two pros I know have these and love them. For best effect, I think you'd need the meshy Abranet sanding meshes, although I hear only good things about those.

Thank you for the info Paul. I have been researching the Festool dust extractor this afternoon. I can see the advantages.of the tool. One thing I can't seem to determine from the Festool site or the other sites I have visited about the tool is does it also filter the surrounding air while it is running? Maybe I am not bright but I can't determine if it does or does not. Would you happen to know since you know a couple guys that have them? That would sure be an added benefit if it worked with a the hand sanding as you mention. I will keep looking as well.

No, the CT dust extractors don't filter the air around you. They include (optional on CT-Mini) HEPA filters, which makes a huge difference on pass-through dust. In the case of the Mirka blocks, there's a small port in the back where the vac would attach. Turn down the CT extractor's suction to low and you won't have any dust. If it keeps the air and surrounds dust-free with a power-sander, it'll handle you with a hand block even if you're jacked up on caffeine :)

You'll have to dig around the FestoolUSA site to find them, but the CT-22/33s are on clearance price since they have been replaced last October. Stil carry the 3 year warranty and 7 year parts guarantee so it isn't like a risky proposition if you prefer one. Mine's a CT-22. The newer CT-26/36 are slightly smaller, quieter, have self-cleaning bags, more airflow, and a stow area for the hoses. Some of that info would be difficult to find on their site, which is why I put it here, though it makes me sound like a salesman... sorry. huh.gif

I'd have to look around, but "ECOFurniture" is Andreas' nickname on other forums; he made a quicky YouTube video showing the dust extraction with those blocks after he got them.

Basically dust free. I like that the Mirkas have a longboard block, too.

So to reiterate, I have not used the Mirka blocks, but have heard glowing reviews from two pros whose opinions I trust.