Thinking about a plow/plough plane

TheFatBaron

There are so many things. I have seen several with the skate bent. if you want the full set of knives the price goes up if you are ok with just the 1/4 or 1/2 they are a lot cheaper. I am assuming you are talking used. there are so many small parts that tend to go missing it is often good to get to know the particular version so that you know what is suppose to be there.

Plowing is about the simplest operation to do with a molding plane, or multi-plane.  My favorite is a dedicated size molding plane with a metal skate.  For grooves that I don't have a dedicated one of those for, I use a 55, just because I have a couple of those and no 45's.  A 45 will do just fine as well.post-14184-0-21271300-1418603423_thumb.j

@James - Yes, used, and I'm not necessarily looking for a complete set of knives - worst case with a narrow blade, it seems like you can always make the groove wider by adjusting the fence, it just may take a while. And it looks like the Veritas blades would fit (not 100% sure, but they look the same).

In any case, I just checked on Blood & Gore, and you're right... that's a lot of parts to break/go missing.

36 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Piggy-back question: Can plow planes be used to groove along the bottom of the face of the board, ala drawer bottoms? Seems like it would be pretty well suited to that task.

Yes, I ground down the iron of an old dedicated size plow plane just for drawer bottom use.  If I just have a few to do, it's quicker than changing a router bit.

16 hours ago, TheFatBaron said:

Anything in particular I should look for/avoid when browsing for one eBay? Obviously, I could just buy new, but I don't mind spending some time to tweak a used plane in this case. I just don't want to buy an obvious lemon.

Ploughing a groove is a feature of most furniture making tasks. While it is possible to cheaply cobble together a fixed grooving plane for drawer making, I prefer the ability to set the distance and the blade width as there are so many variations possible.

I am not a fan of complicated plough planes. Simple set set up - blade projection, fence distance, and depth stop. Metal planes are much easier and reliable than wooden planes. Combination plough planes, such as the #45 and #55 are a Swiss Army Knife. Keep it simple.

Vintage - Record #044

New - LV Small Plow

Regards from Perth

Derek

Make sure not to confuse the vintage Record 044 with the 044C.  I bought a Record 044C new in the 1970s.  I use the Record cutters in the 55's, but the 044C has the worst depth stop ever devised.  It relies on a screw going down into a plastic tube to fix the depth stop, which doesn't work worth anything.  Stay away from the 044C.