What is the best joint for this?

If it were me it would get the domino special. Done in an hour. If you want "strongest" and you dont have a domino do through dovetails in the corners and sliding dovetails for the shelves into the sides. That should do it...  

But being a painted piece, butt joints, glue and screws will do just fine. Plug the holes, paint and install. 

Do you know the method to do domino joints in the middle of a panel. Mark a line and clamp the cross piece & cut using the bottom of the machine as a reference face. Plunge the mid panel cuts with the bottom of the machine against the clamped cross piece then cut the mortices into the end of the cross piece with the bottom of the machine on the panel. Much harder to describe than it is to do.

I make the plunge cuts first and make sure the clamps are snug before cutting the mortices into the ends. I have had the sideways motion shift the part slightly. By doing the plunge cuts first a tiny bit of shifting doesn't matter.

5 hours ago, Tyler Hicken said:

My wife wants me to build these for her piano studio but I worry about the strength of the boxes.  The images look like they are using butt joints (probably with screws or something mechanical to hold them together).  Is that really strongest way to create these?  

Lasido_Raf_Beyaz_Ikili.jpg

For me I think good old fashioned rabbits and dadoes with some good glue and some pin nails to hold until the glue is dry and it should hold for many years to come!

• Like 1