Noob needing advice

RxNolan

4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Meh, hate to be contrary but construction pine from the home center is garbage.  That stuff is for building houses.  Go to a hardwood dealer and get some poplar or alder if you're worried about spending money.  It'll be much more cooperative to work with and you'll have a higher quality piece when you're done.  Also remember that the cost of materials almost always pales in comparison to the amount of labor you put into building something.  So spend the money on nice materials.  You'll regret building something out of junk once it's done.  You'll stand back and say, "That's not bad...think how cool it would be if we would have used REAL wood."

It will be my friends table and he is making the final say so with the wood. He really doesn't want to use pine. We will see what he decides.

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Meh, hate to be contrary but construction pine from the home center is garbage.  That stuff is for building houses.  Go to a hardwood dealer and get some poplar or alder if you're worried about spending money.  It'll be much more cooperative to work with and you'll have a higher quality piece when you're done.  Also remember that the cost of materials almost always pales in comparison to the amount of labor you put into building something.  So spend the money on nice materials.  You'll regret building something out of junk once it's done.  You'll stand back and say, "That's not bad...think how cool it would be if we would have used REAL wood."

I think the forum members should chip and and buy a plane ticket to Alaska so you can tell Ana White what you think of 2x6 farmhouse tables.  But you need to film it.  

1 hour ago, RxNolan said:

Attaching 2x6x6 length wise to one another.

Good discovering mike. I was thinking stretcher to legs.

31 minutes ago, Mike. said:

u think of 2x6 farmhouse tables.  But you need to film it.  

Ha ha. . I was conned into building one last month.   Notice no pictures made it here. .

Beware that construction "pine" isn't always pine. Especially the 2x4 variety, they are usually labeled "SPF" for spruce / pine / fir, e.i., whichever was handy that day. IF construction lumber is your choice / only option, buy the widest, least knotty boards you can find, and cut them to size. This will yield much better material than smaller boards.

Or do it right, and buy real hardwood. You won't regret it.

Do you have a  jointer a hand plane a circular saw other a table saw? 

The jointer or hand plane are the right way to do it. The others can be made to work. 

I say this out of a place of honesty, not cruelty. It sounds like you did not take the time to really learn how to build this table before starting. When it comes to a project,  "ready fire" doesn't usually end well.  I spent a few years " ready aim aim aim fire". Thinking the whole build through,  figuring out what I needed to make it work, researching and practicing techniques then jumping in. 

That is not saying that you can't learn on the fly; but doing so, in my experience, often leads to learning opportunities aka mistakes. 

27 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I say this out of a place of honesty, not cruelty. It sounds like you did not take the time to really learn how to build this table before starting.

You are pretty spot on. No offense taken. Have been reading a few week but I feel like I learn more while attempting the project.

This will by no means be a professionally done job. Friend went with cheap wood so if it doesn't turn out its fine. As long as I learn something I will be good. I appreciate y'alls honestly.