air conditioning the shop

zeboim

My shop lives in my garage, but I live in south Louisiana and temperatures can get well into the 3 digits during the summer months.  I'm trying to figure out a way to cool it off so I don't miss 5-6 months worth of wood working during the year.  There are no windows in the garage, so I was considering cutting a hole in the brick wall for a window unit until I realized it would break our HOA agreement to have a window unit poking out. So window units are out of the question.  The only option I see would be to leave the house door open, but the last thing I want is saw dust and varnish smells all over the house, besides my wife would kill me, or a portable A/C unit.

So my question for the community is this, does anyone have any portable A/C recommendations?  Does anyone have any other suggestions that I haven't thought of?

PS.  I can't afford a second A/C unit and my current unit isn't powerful enough to add the garage.

There have been some good ductless ac units that I've seen people use in smaller homes around here. I just did a google and the units themselves don't seem super expensive. Also as a benefit the unit cold add some resale value to the structure your adding it too.

2nd option and much less viable would be to add a duct to your existing system into the garage 1 for cold air 1 for a return and then put a filter on the return in the garage. I know it's probably not possible and would be expensive but I'm just spit-balling here.

Sorry folks, let me clarify my "can't afford" another A/C unit comment.  

I cannot afford to install a second central A/C unit just to cool the garage and my current central A/C unit doesn't have the power to cool the garage as well as my house.  I hope that makes more sense.

13 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

This is what I did in my shop. Set me back about $500 bucks. Works great, my shop was cool all summer long and was comfortable to work in. At some points it was too cold in the garage. 

This is the direction that I'm looking at currently.  Do you find there are any problems with saw dust hampering performance in the unit?  I'll definitely take a look at honeywell, they seem to have a good track record.

4 minutes ago, zeboim said:

This is the direction that I'm looking at currently.  Do you find there are any problems with saw dust hampering performance in the unit?  I'll definitely take a look at honeywell, they seem to have a good track record.

I drilled a 6" hole in the side of my house, bought a vent, and a 6" to 5" adaptor at home depot to hook to the hose. 

I clean the filters at the end of every day in the shop, depending on how much dust I made. I never go more than 2 days without cleaning them, just incase. 

This may seam a little simple, If you have ac in your house why not just tie into an existing run with flex and have it go into your garage? as far as a return, I would not have one, but have a vent to the outside to keep air flow, not knowing the lay out of your house and how the flex is ran but most times over garages are bonus rooms with air or at least access to a run, just a don't over size your new flex run, this will take away the air balance in other parts of the house, after all you just want to temper the air, not hang meat, Also do you have any friends in the HVAC business? if so you ask tell them to keep an eye out for a used mini split, My friend got me one for my shop, when he was doing a change out to a newer system at a college, not real pretty but I can hang meat,

I live just down the road, and am currently in the same delimma.  I decided to spray foam the wall and do a mini split, I am thinking this will work well.  However I am also thinking this will blow your budget out of the water.  I am sick of getting work done from October-May and then stopping due to heat the rest of the year.  I couldn't find a solution that would work on my shop on the cheap.