Trip to the lumberyard

shaneymack

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

I wonder if its possibly some other rosewood species.

That's possible...looks more like East Indian rosewood to me.  But like you, I don't have much experience with the rosewoods so I'm definitely not an authority.  It's possible that it's gone all the way through the commercial chain of custody mislabeled and no one knew the difference.  It's not even like anyone is trying to dupe anyone, it's just a lack of knowledge about the species.  That happens at my yard once in a while...a stack will come in labeled as one thing when it's actually something else.  Just mislabeled, an honest mistake that you could trace all the way back to the mill in some third world country.

It would seem a bit more duplicitous with a species as expensive as BR, but it's still possible...

• Like 1

"Jacaranda" is Brazilian rosewood.  And I'm not ignoring that possibility.  I'm just saying it doesn't look like the Brazilian rosewood I've seen before, and under the circumstances (illegal to harvest and import, etc, and nearly impossible to find), it seems like there's a decent chance it's not Brazilian rosewood.  I added the disclaimer that I'm not a rosewood expert and it's quite possible to likely that I'm wrong.  So put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, you crabby old geezer.  LOL

Thats definitely not brazilian rosewood.

a) If it was, a piece that large would cost hundreds, if not over a 1000 dollars. A guitar manufacturer would have likely purchased all of it by now, especially PRS (they have 2 wood buyers that literally travel around just to buy stock like that)

b ) if it IS, then it would desperately need a CITES verification or that is highly highly illegal to sell/buy otherwise

c) it doesn't look like brazilian rosewood, sorry!  It definitely looks like a true rosewood (dalbergia genus), but it lacks the "Wow" factor of brazilian. That piece lacks the color variation of brazilian rosewood.

Just now, shaneymack said:

Is it his strength or his butt in dem jeans you're drooling over? Or both?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

hahahaha couldn't be that disgustingly figured 10 foot walnut slab right? 

Jacaranda amarello or Jacaranda pardo are Fabaceae family not Dalbergia/rosewood family. It is so easy to buy into common names. Look at the pictures and it seems possible they sold what they claimed ,Jacaranda .

This makes sense. The tag said jacaranda and not Brazilian rosewood. I said aka brazilian rosewood because the Internet told me they were the same

• Like 1

Thats definitely not brazilian rosewood.

a) If it was, a piece that large would cost hundreds, if not over a 1000 dollars. A guitar manufacturer would have likely purchased all of it by now, especially PRS (they have 2 wood buyers that literally travel around just to buy stock like that)

b ) if it IS, then it would desperately need a CITES verification or that is highly highly illegal to sell/buy otherwise

c) it doesn't look like brazilian rosewood, sorry!  It definitely looks like a true rosewood (dalbergia genus), but it lacks the "Wow" factor of brazilian. That piece lacks the color variation of brazilian rosewood.

Is it his strength or his butt in dem jeans you're drooling over? Or both?

It was labeled as jacaranda but apparently jacaranda is not BRW. Who knows. I don't know much about identifying lumber but I like the piece of wood whatever it is. I'd be curious to know what it is though. 80$ a board isnt cheap but its far from cocobolo/ebony prices. I think it is some sort of rosewood but which, no clue.

You sure that's not a bubinga slab you're drooling over?

35 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Jacaranda amarello or Jacaranda pardo are Fabaceae family not Dalbergia/rosewood family. It is so easy to buy into common names. Look at the pictures and it seems possible they sold what they claimed ,Jacaranda .

You forgot to say...So vape that you fruity pebble punk kid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

According to the Wood Database, jacaranda is another common name for Brazilian rosewood.  It's not one that I'd ever heard, but I assumed that Shane's yard had told him it was BR and the Wood Database is usually a pretty trustworthy resource.  Maybe phinds will chime in if he sees this thread.

And John, I don't vape no mo.  So you can squirt that in yer tarlet and flush it big guy.

12 minutes ago, Eric. said:

According to the Wood Database, jacaranda is another common name for Brazilian rosewood.  It's not one that I'd ever heard, but I assumed that Shane's yard had told him it was BR and the Wood Database is usually a pretty trustworthy resource.  Maybe phinds will chime in if he sees this thread.

And John, I don't vape no mo.  So you can squirt that in yer tarlet and flush it big guy.

Try a Cusano 18 and that will get your mind back in order. Just kidding, congrats for your progress. Don't look back. K

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

It was labeled as jacaranda but apparently jacaranda is not BRW. Who knows. I don't know much about identifying lumber but I like the piece of wood whatever it is. I'd be curious to know what it is though. 80$ a board isnt cheap but its far from cocobolo/ebony prices. I think it is some sort of rosewood but which, no clue.

You sure that's not a bubinga slab you're drooling over?

Oh man if thats bubinga, thats even worse...  Not the highest of resolutions in that photo, looks like bastogne walnut that I get to use from time to time..  Whatever it is, its absolutely gorgeous!

• Like 1

by the way... my tools got dull just by LOOKING at this thread. Have fun with that lol. Make damn sure you have some sharp bits for the lacewood especially, or youre gonna have a bad time.

The lacewood is a fairly soft wood but i imagine it tears out like mad. I have a helical planer and jointer so hopefully that will help. My wife hates the stuff, so not sure what im going to do with it. Maybe shop furniture lol !

Just for the record, Shane...did someone at the yard TELL you it was Brazilian rosewood, or was it just labeled jacaranda and you googled it to find Brazilian rosewood was associated?

No one told me that at the yard. Just wood database. I did some looking around and it looks like its jacaranda amarelo. Again, no clue what I'm talking about here. Just going by hobbithouse and some pics online.

On 4/30/2016 at 9:30 AM, shaneymack said:

They had it labeled as jacaranda there. Wood database says jacaranda is brazilian rosewood. I don't know who is right to tell you the truth !

Although it's true that "jacaranda" is one of the common names used (very rarely) for Dalbergia nigra, I'm a bit surprised that Eric even mentioned that since "jacaranda" is about 99.99% more likely to refer to various other woods. I can provide a list of 50 species that use the name jacaranda. I can assure you that the wood shown in this thread is 100% definitely not Brazilian rosewood.

• Like 1

They had it labeled as jacaranda there. Wood database says jacaranda is brazilian rosewood. I don't know who is right to tell you the truth !

Although it's true that "jacaranda" is one of the common names used (very rarely) for Dalbergia nigra, I'm a bit surprised that Eric even mentioned that since "jacaranda" is about 99.99% more likely to refer to various other woods. I can provide a list of 50 species that use the name jacaranda. I can assure you that the wood shown in this thread is 100% definitely not Brazilian rosewood.

Thanks phinds. Any guess as to what it actually is?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Thanks phinds. Any guess as to what it actually is?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

To me it looks like morado (aka Bolivian rosewood) and "jacaranda" is one of the alternate common names for that wood. Check out the pics on my site and see what you think.