wood surprise!

bob493

So, about 4 years ago, I bought a bunch of wood "just to get it". This included these large ash/elm (he wasn't sure, and i didn't know enough at the time) blocks (3" x 38" x 10") that he sold me for 5$ for 8 of them. Not 5$ each, just 5$. I have never gotten around to messing with them due to their sheer size and my lack of use, but tonight I got a hair up my butt waiting for some epoxy to dry to scrub one down and see what it really was.

Well, Im quite pleased so far! (note, now that i take a picture of it, i can see figuring, but in person it looks like chainsaw marks). Being 3" thick, thats AT LEAST 6 tops for a guitar per board. 12 if i do thin drop tops. Very happy!

This is how it started

pNkGp3z.jpg

started scrubbing

nO8SJty.jpg

Has a VERY tight and very dense curl all over the board...

sYLP7Wt.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Good looking wood.  Have you determined the species yet?

Im 90% sure its ash. That said, I did look at some elm, and it does unfortunately share some striking resemblances. I've never personally used elm, but I've also never seen ash with those defined, dark grain lines that run through (almost like ziricote does) Ill know more when I finish cleaning it up tomorrow.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12519318_497768673762890_1781314607_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE3OTE2OTkwNDk2NDI3MjQyOQ%3D%3D.2

I love those moments.

Just this weekend i was playing around with my band saw, i stole some wood from the camp fire pile my dad was burning and uncovered some nice figure in some box elder. My dad then told me i couldn't burn the wood and had to do something with it, my mom suggested a picture frame.

Major bummer :-/ and more surprises, though not the good kind this time around.

Cut the piece off to use for my top, and there was a HUGE knot under the surface. I was prepared for the large knot on top, and would have been able to easily work around it, but that other hole gives me problems. So, I'll see how this "trick" works out. Using some z-poxy 48 hour cure with copper powder pigment. I was planning on going a natural finish with gold hardware, so this might look really good, it might look like crap, we're just gonna have to wait and see.

20160502_192945.jpg

20160502_201947.jpg

• Like 1

Looking at the face grain my guess is Elm.  Face grain photos are always hard to judge, but it seems your lumber has the feathered cathedral grain that is typical of elm.  The cathedral grain on ash is more clearly delineated.  But there is a lot of cool stuff going so I don't know.   Also, I typically see more color in Elm (like what you have).  The Ash is see is white or brown and not much in between.