SW bookcase

Mick S

14 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Micks, third pic of the top, how did you do the end of the board? Looks great/natural.

10 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Looks like a live edge to me Coop but, I could be wrong..

I mentioned above that I based the top edge on the mesas around here. They rise and fall and pitch this way and that. I did it with a rotary grinder and a sanding pad on a drill. Pretty free form, but I was happy with the results.  

I agree. I'm building a small box now with a live edge on the front of the lid and tried to replicate it on the ends but it just looks fabricated. Micks looks like it's just where the board broke off, really natural.

1 minute ago, micks said:

I mentioned above that I based the top edge on the mesas around here. They rise and fall and pitch this way and that. I did it with a rotary grinder and a sanding pad on a drill. Pretty free form, but I was happy with the results.  

My apologies, I've read a few posts since then or missed it..  Regardless, you achieved the goal!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TIODS said:

My apologies, I've read a few posts since then or missed it..  Regardless, you achieved the goal!

Certainly no apologies needed. I miss details like that all the time. The mesas are awesome. I can stare at them for hours. Before I started this I took a sketch pad up to the ridge near here and sketched as many as I could for as far as I could see with binoculars. 

2 minutes ago, micks said:

Certainly no apologies needed. I miss details like that all the time. The mesas are awesome. I can stare at them for hours. Before I started this I took a sketch pad up to the ridge near here and sketched as many as I could for as far as I could see with binoculars. 

That's very cool Mick!  Having been to our state a few times, I am not a fan of the scenery but, can certainly understand how some are.  Just a difference in taste.  I like that you were inspired by your surroundings to achieve a look you wanted in your home!  

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

That's very cool Mick!  Having been to your state a few times, I am not a fan of the scenery but, can certainly understand how some are.  Just a difference in taste.  I like that you were inspired by your surroundings to achieve a look you wanted in your home!  

But I grew up in Texas...

Just now, micks said:

But I grew up in Texas...

lol - I don't care much for the scenery in a great deal of that state either ;)

Everyone's taste is different..  Doesn't mean I can't appreciate the inspiration.

• Like 1

Just now, TIODS said:

Everyone's taste is different..  Doesn't mean I can't appreciate the inspiration.

I think it's all relative. Relative to my hometown in west TX, this is heaven - or the closest we could get on my dad's 2 week annual vacation! There is something about this place that draws so many artists - Santa Fe has the fourth largest concentration of art galleries in the country behind NYC, LA and San Francisco, but only 68,000 people. It's the light. Can't tell you how many times Alison and I have pulled over to watch a sunset or clouds. Not for everyone, but it works for us!

We'll be in your beautiful state in a few months. I'm looking forward to it!

3 minutes ago, micks said:

I think it's all relative. Relative to my hometown in west TX, this is heaven - or the closest we could get on my dad's 2 week annual vacation! There is something about this place that draws so many artists - Santa Fe has the fourth largest concentration of art galleries in the country behind NYC, LA and San Francisco, but only 68,000 people. It's the light. Can't tell you how many times Alison and I have pulled over to watch a sunset or clouds. Not for everyone, but it works for us!

We'll be in your beautiful state in a few months. I'm looking forward to it!

Do let me know if you make it up my way!  Dinner and drinks on me bud.!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TIODS said:

I was going to bed on a good note, now I feel like a step child, Texas? 

Just now, K Cooper said:

I was going to bed on a good note, now I feel like a step child, Texas? 

lol - C'mon Coop..  It is all relative..  To you, it's a beautiful area and you shouldn't lose that perspective!  It's just different from my perspective..  You'll never change my perspective and I will never change yours.  

15 minutes ago, micks said:

Ha! I grew up in Midland. Have you ever been to Midland, TX? You quickly learn to appreciate the sunsets and the people.

When we fly to Vegas via SWA, we fly over over Midland/Odessa and all we see are pump-jacks, as far as the eye can see.  

• Like 1