All about Fountain Pens

Llama

5 hours ago, Chet K. said:

I am jealous Mel.

When I was in elementary school in the early 60's we had penmanship class called the Palmer Method and had to do exercises Every day using a fountain pen.  Unfortunately the exercises and the fountain pen itself were not designed for left handed people such as my self.  I always go bad scores on my papers because a leftie smears the still wet ink as they move across the page.  To this day I still wish I could use a nice fountain pen with out making a mess.

Chet, I never even thought about it and I guess I've never seen a leftie write, but I thought you guys wrote right to left? Just kiddin!

15 hours ago, Llama said:

I should have expected this.

Most people don't even have a pen or know how to write their name legibly. Sadly, penmanship has been reduced to the few times a day people have to scratch letters that vaguely represent a signature. Simply scratching at the paper as a newborn gorilla would with a dull stick against dirt.

I was using the pen to write notes in a meeting the other day, someone said "what's that crazy thing".. Damn millennials. I expected it from them, I hoped more from this group. In another meeting, someone recognized the pen and was able to identify the ink I was using. So, not all hope is lost. 

I suspect I'd be just as successful with thread making if I started one about watches that don't run on batteries...

I have been writing with Cross pens and pencils for 40+ years.  Love the feel of them and if I leave home without my set I feel naked - like leaving my pocketknife in my other pair of pants.  While I use my computer, iPhone and iPad most of the day, I try to write by hand every day whether sketching out notes or journaling.  I think better when I write rather than type (says the man typing this on a laptop).

One of the saddest things I've seen in our local school system is they no longer teach kids cursive writing.  Not only can they not write in cursive, they will never be able to read ancient documents such as the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Gettysburg Address, etc.  Sad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Llama said:

It's here!!!!!

Montegrappa Fortuna Skull Limited Edition! I wasn't looking for a new fountain pen, but I got a pretty good deal on it.

IMG_1400_resize_zpsyei4xkhx.jpg

IMG_1398_resize_zpskfvnhlwy.jpg

IMG_1391_resize_zpservgbjwi.jpg

That's bitchin! Sorry, I couldn't make it more "G" rated and get the point across! What did that set you back?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

As long as you bought it as "In New Condition" and it has a warranty, and you can make the monthly payments, and mamma doesn't know, oh heck yeah! Does it come with a pocket protector? 

It's in new condition, I was the first to ink it up. She doesn't care what I buy as long as the kids have stuff to eat lol.

Oh, I did the math... You can buy right around 400 Bic pens for what I paid for this. It has a list price of about 1000 Bic pens, I did alright :) 

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Love it dude! ENJOY! And there's that funky cap you were talking about!

It's a nice thing. I already inked it up with some ink that maybe two other people on here would know about, so I'll leave that alone... But yes. It's a really nice pen. Having a lot of fun with it. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Does your handwriting justify such a prize?

Yes. Believe it or not, a nice pen improves penmanship. I also write much more than I used to. A nice pen makes writing fun. I don't expect many to understand it, and to write it off (no pun intended) as being overly nerdy about it. 

2 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Mel, that is one slick writing instrument!  

Thanks! 

• Like 1