comic book drivel

Cliff

8 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Totally hear you, Cliff, It comes with a pretty hefty price tag. It is very well made and will last my life. Tools are pretty much the only thing i really spend big bucks on, i wear cheap t shirts and jeans from costco =)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Then you are doing better than me. I just spent $70 on a Hulk statue from Avengers: Age Of Ultron movie. I spend money on whatever comes across my radar. All woodworking has done is make me a bit more focused on where it goes! :D

Then you are doing better than me. I just spent $70 on a Hulk statue from Avengers: Age Of Ultron movie. I spend money on whatever comes across my radar. All woodworking has done is make me a bit more focused on where it goes!

With the proper tooling, you could have made your own statue! Time to save up for a cnc...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Llama said:

Oh man why did you show me that?!! I had no idea it existed. 

I was only planning on getting the Iron Man Hulkbuster counter part to the hulk I bought (which is $170.) I'm not a huge Marvel guy when it comes to statues, I only have this one. Then like 8-10 Batman statues. but I really liked the look of that set. And now I like the look of the one you just linked.

15 minutes ago, Llama said:

I want most of the things on that website. I am having a really hard time not buying the $400 Voltron with detachable and posable lions.

I was never into Voltron but yeah I get what you're saying. I can't even go looking at statues, because I start trying to buy a new one every few weeks. I want to be real picky about what I get. That Hulkbuster is next, then the Killing Joke Joker one. Then Frank Miller Batman Black & White. My goal is like.. 1.5 years to pick up those three. otherwise it eats into WW pretty hardcore.

• Like 1

Just now, shaneymack said:

LMAO !!! Next to your furbies???

They aren't cool enough to sit next to the Furbiezzzz. Those things are in a box with the Trolls. :) It's funny because it's true. The truth is they are my wife's from when she was a kid. 

• Like 1

Hey now. Action figures are kids things. But statues are man things. Cause nobody is buying a kid $200+ statues. They are collectables that can be sold. :) I mean, if you want to make fun of my comics you can do that too, but I could sell five of them right now on ebay and go buy a $3k sawstop and a $2k drum sander. So to me, this stuff is not for kids.

But yeah I don't get bronies at all. Just not my thing. heh

• Like 1

Hey now. Action figures are kids things. But statues are man things. Cause nobody is buying a kid $200+ statues. They are collectables that can be sold. I mean, if you want to make fun of my comics you can do that too, but I could sell five of them right now on ebay and go buy a $3k sawstop and a $2k drum sander. So to me, this stuff is not for kids.

But yeah I don't get bronies at all. Just not my thing. heh

So you are telling me that you could sell five of your comics and buy a supermax and a sawstop ???? What the heck you waiting for ?!?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

So you are telling me that you could sell five of your comics and buy a supermax and a sawstop ???? What the heck you waiting for ?!?!

Well, I REALLY like those books :) And no matter how I slice it, selling it feels like giving money away. My graded Dark Knight Returns #1 issue is 31 years old, so it's not going to drop in value, probably ever.

Still.. I have thought about it. If I saw absolutely no way I could buy those two things in the next couple of years without selling some comics - I'd probably do it. I could always get a non-graded version of some books and get them graded again to try and hit that high score that makes them valuable.

So I try to stay patient. I'm really trying to collect every Batman issue made of the original line. That's like 800 issues. And even a ripped up torn unreadable copy of an issue from the first ten goes for $100+.

Well, I REALLY like those books And no matter how I slice it, selling it feels like giving money away. My graded Dark Knight Returns #1 issue is 31 years old, so it's not going to drop in value, probably ever.

Still.. I have thought about it. If I saw absolutely no way I could buy those two things in the next couple of years without selling some comics - I'd probably do it. I could always get a non-graded version of some books and get them graded again to try and hit that high score that makes them valuable.

So I try to stay patient. I'm really trying to collect every Batman issue made of the original line. That's like 800 issues. And even a ripped up torn unreadable copy of an issue from the first ten goes for $100+.

Sorry man, lost you at " graded dark knight "...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Sorry man, lost you at " graded dark knight "...

emoji12.png

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That's fair. :) Long story short, you send it to some guys, and for $30 they agree it's a 9.8 out of 10 and you get to sell it for $1000. I paid less than $100 for it from a friend.

If you think too hard on it - your brain could explode.

I never got into graded books for that reason. Another reason, I like to read mine. I have nothing against collections or collectors, but just not for me. I like flipping through them and looking at the art. :) Pretty pictures, I can't read.

If it weren't for the 7 other things I like to spend money on, I'd have more comics. I have quite a few nice ones, nothing in the $1000 range, but nice and ungraded. After I move I will start collecting Spiderman comics again. I want to have the first 100 or so.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Llama said:

I never got into graded books for that reason. Another reason, I like to read mine. I have nothing against collections or collectors, but just not for me. I like flipping through them and looking at the art. :) Pretty pictures, I can't read.

If it weren't for the 7 other things I like to spend money on, I'd have more comics. I have quite a few nice ones, nothing in the $1000 range, but nice and ungraded. After I move I will start collecting Spiderman comics again. I want to have the first 100 or so.

I totally get what you are saying there.. I tend to read new comics, in floppy form. Then put them in the box. Old stuff that I want to collect for value purposes, I like them graded and even if they aren't graded, I won't open the bag. If I want to read it, I buy the hardback volume or something. So I have a ton of those in a bookcase. Shoot, Dark Knight Returns I have a leather bound collection that WAS still in the original plastic (until it fell off my shelf and the plastic broke) and my floppy single issues, then a paperback collection. The paperback collection of course is what I read. So I'm definitely a collector of Batman comics. But I'll read about anything, so I get whatever is cheapest, and the volumes tend to work for that.

I honestly don't know how I got to this point. I only started comics about 3 years ago. Suddenly I felt like collecting was worth my time. It's a decent investment if you can find good shape books that are old, especially if they grade well. I've been incredibly fortunate with grading so far.

Well dang. My stepdad had all the way from Spider-Man 17 through about 60. I think it was 17.. 3 issues after the first appearance of green goblin if I remember right. They were all pretty bad shape. We sold about 300 of his comics that were salvageable. He's gotten around $5000 for them, and the comic store owner that cleaned them up (ton of work, he had to wipe each one down carefully to get the grime off) has gotten another $4000 for his cut. He had X-Men 1-3 too.. #1 had the cover completely ripped off. Makes a comic fan sad to see the state of his books before we sold them.

10 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I honestly don't know how I got to this point.

I already know that once I get the first 100, I will start hunting down better copies of the ones I have. I have thought about starting with key issues, and filling them in as time moves on.

With most of them only a click away, it takes the hunt out of it though. I don't mind collections, but I miss the hunt. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Llama said:

I already know that once I get the first 100, I will start hunting down better copies of the ones I have. I have thought about starting with key issues, and filling them in as time moves on.

With most of them only a click away, it takes the hunt out of it though. I don't mind collections, but I miss the hunt. 

I am doing the same with Batman. I don't actually hunt, but I am personal friends with a guy that owns a comic shop, and he's friends with 3 other shops. So when Batman issues come in at the $40-$200 range, they call me first. Sometimes I got no money. I missed out on Clayface's first issue last year cause I didn't have the $200 for it. With all the movies that are coming, I think Clayface is poised to be the next villain that they will do - and will probably do him very well. That will escalate the book value.

I never got to "hunt" with comics. But I did with baseball cards. That really was a blast.

15 minutes ago, Llama said:

I have some interesting variations you may be interested in. You probably have them though. 

Hush series

I have one Hush issue. Issue 612, I think it's the non-variant. The one of Superman holding Batman by the throat. Graded at 9.8. One of my favorite covers ever. Then I have the Absolute: Hush as well for reading. So yeah, I need the rest. :) They aren't even hard to find, as they are relatively new, I just haven't ran across them.