comic book drivel

Cliff

2 minutes ago, Cliff said:

They aren't even hard to find, as they are relatively new, I just haven't ran across them.

indeed, they aren't too hard to find. I bought them while I was in Korea, and filled the series when I got back.

It's a good series. :) 

@Llama - Pretty sure he does. I'd have to run down there and ask him. Or you know.. ask him when he's over tomorrow to play cards against humanity, I suppose. Sometimes that stuff sells well, other times it sits there for years. It's strange.

18 hours ago, shaneymack said:

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

I just split all this garbage off your dowel thread, @shaneymack.  I don't know which is a bigger waste of time, doing that or reading a thread about comic books.  Anyway, it's done.  You're welcome.

That's easy, the biggest waste of time is whatever you do in your spare time that I don't personally care for!

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Don't take it personal.  It's my obligation as a non-comic book guy to make fun of comic book guys whenever the opportunity presents itself.  I took an oath.

I got no prob. I've heard it all before. Though your oath has went from being in the majority to the opposite. All those nerds reading comics in school grew up to make the biggest movies ever made. Times have changed. For the better in my opinion!

1 minute ago, Pug said:

Spare time?   Who has any of that?☺

Everyone without kids, is my guess. And of course, spare time is where the woodworking action happens. Amongst other things. 

I just split all this garbage off your dowel thread, @shaneymack.  I don't know which is a bigger waste of time, doing that or reading a thread about comic books.  Anyway, it's done.  You're welcome.

Youd compare working with wood of any kind as much of a waste of time as comic books?? You must be drunk again. I need an exact size dowel of a specific species there is no other way to get it. Not sure what your issue is with a dowel maker....oh yeah, you're Eric.

Thanks for splitting the thread, you da man.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Cliff said:

All those nerds reading comics in school grew up to make the biggest movies ever made.

When does your movie come out?

31 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

....oh yeah, you're Eric.

I wouldn't have it any other way!

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Do you guys collect these as an investment or just get wood because you have them?

I am not nearly as prolific as Cliff is with these things. I have around 100 or so of them. I buy the ones I like, but my buying goes in cycles. Mostly Spiderman, or other things that catch my eye, or ones that I had when I was a kid and remember. Best example being is the CRISIS series. I have doubles of some of those, and one graded #1. I haven't bought a comic book in over two years though.

In the end, most of us buy things the other people will see as dumb. I know a guy that has a boat, and is constantly sticking money into that damn thing. He looks at my woodworking stuff, and gives me shit about it. Other people collect stamps.

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Youd compare working with wood of any kind as much of a waste of time as comic books?? You must be drunk again. I need an exact size dowel of a specific species there is no other way to get it. Not sure what your issue is with a dowel maker....oh yeah, you're Eric.

I may have been drunk, but you're confused.  Read my comment again...it doesn't say anything about working wood being a waste of time.  Splitting those threads or reading comic books was the tossup.

PS...working wood is a waste of time.  But it's koo.

• Like 1

I may have been drunk, but you're confused.  Read my comment again...it doesn't say anything about working wood being a waste of time.  Splitting those threads or reading comic books was the tossup.

PS...working wood is a waste of time.  But it's koo.

Sorry buddy! Guess i misread. I knew you were drunk though lmao !!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey, I have a storage tub full of old comics, but just because I never tossed them as a kid. Of course, between the wear & tear, and the fact I read stuff no one else is interested in, they are worthless.

Anyone care to drop a load of cash on some Joe Kubert-illustrated Tarzan, Sgt. Rock, or Unknown Solder rags?

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Do you guys collect these as an investment or just get wood because you have them? I have 60's Playboys and they're not worth the puffy nips they're printed on. But neither is my 401k!

For me, I like to collect things. But I'm not one of those guys that hits the comic shop and drops $200 on every comic that comes out that week and all the variants - and comes home, reads them then puts them in a box. And that box is in a room full of boxes. Some dudes have 30,000 comics. I got less than 1000, I think. I'm not necessarily a comic collector so much as a Batman comic collector. And of course, as an investment, it's a pretty good choice. Last year or the year before the page where The Joker first appeared on was sold for like $900. Just the page, ripped out of the book. 

So I get to kill 2 birds with one stone. I get to collect something and it's worth money and I could sell it in a pinch. 

That being said, I also do read quite a few comics, but I'm likely to toss it if I think it will not be worth something. 

2 hours ago, Llama said:

Other people collect stamps.

Some people juggle geese.