This stupid "Rustic" fad has got to go

On 6/23/2016 at 10:46 AM, lmurphy said:

Thank you all for the kind words. The stuff I use is all commonly available construction grade lumber. I do try and pick the best stuff which can require some effort. I use 4x4's for legs, and 2x10's for tops. I make sure it is dry enough to use. I also treat it the same way that anyone would treat pricey hardwood. I process it with a jointer, planer, table saw, handplanes etc etc. Once you've made everything flat, straight, square,  and removed the rounded corners it's just like any other woodworking project.

I'd like to argue a few other points. I'd say the rustic fad is good for the following reasons.

1-  In some cases, it means that people are becoming (slightly) more interested in buying furniture from craftspeople instead of big box stores. That in itself, is great for woodworkers of all varieties. It can also be great for small businesses. 

2-  It is an opportunity for woodworkers to build simple affordable stuff that is appealing to a large amount of people. Not everyone wants or can afford complex historically oriented stuff. Woodworkers, collectors, historians, architects, Art History people and other aficionados like that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I love all the great historical styles of furniture. However, Not everyone is a connoisseur of art objects, nor should they be. At the end of the day, furniture is meant to be used.

3-   It's an opportunity for the serious woodworking crowd to educate the public about the craft. It is a good thing that people are having discussions about technical aspects of woodworking with their spouses, friends, and non-woodworkers.

That's the difference between you and the 1000's selling junk on Facebook and other places though.  A jointer, planer and hand planes?  Mortise and tenon joinery?  I bet you even think about wood movement, don't you?  They'll kick you out of the rustic club for stuff like that.

I don't disagree that quality furniture can be made with construction grade lumber, it's just that most people don't put in the effort to learn how to do so.

Jay Bates comes to mind, he has built his whole YouTube channel out of building furniture out of construction lumber, and it's mostly pretty nice stuff I think.  

You obviously do extremely nice work, nicer than mine, and I'd struggle to call your work rustic at all.  

• Like 1

Thanks Mike and Bleedinblue for the compliments.

Bleedinblue, I do think about wood movement. I own 3 moisture meters. 

Mike, In my neck of the woods I'd estimate that using those species would add at least $300 to total cost for a 6' table. It's not huge amount when spread out over the life of the table.  I've tried to explain differences to people about softwoods and hardwoods. I usually end up talking about the Janka scale. Then People get bored and they stop responding. I think some people are shocked to find out that not all wood costs the same. 

The other reason I think these tables are popular is because their usual prices fit in with what a person with median income has available for discretionairy spending. Once you add a few hundred extra for premium wood, it gets harder for the average person to have the funds immediately available. 

• Like 2

Im going to make a 6ft table and price it at 549.00 finished so Im going to put my carpentrey hat on...Its all about how much time you can get paid for and what that means is I am going to take the eazy way and hope the table doesnt blow apart at dinner time..

Im going to make a 6ft table and price it at 549.00 finished so Im going to put my carpentrey hat on...Its all about how much time you can get paid for and what that means is I am going to take the eazy way and hope the table doesnt blow apart at dinner time..

And this is why I don't do this professionally. Would kill me to have to do that.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

And this is why I don't do this professionally. Would kill me to have to do that.

It does kill me...What Im about to build soon I would never want you guys to no how its going to go together in two days  or less..To be honest it always kills me seeing the great things you guys build and I no woodworking was great when it was my hobby also.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...