Premade runners?

rodger.

I had some 3/8" aluminum ones with countersunk screw holes made where I work... they were precision cut on a waterjet and I only had to do VERY minor sanding to get them to run smoothly in the tracks of my saw. I think I ended up paying $18 for the pair (each was 24" long)... and most of that was shop time. We get materials and shop time at cost but cutting things on the waterjet is expensive.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:51 PM, SawDustB said:

I'd recommend uhmw... I went with it in my last sled. Cheap, fits the miter slots perfectly with no slop, and slides great. I picked it up for other reasons, so I bought the 4 inch wide sheet and sliced off the runners.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=32045&cat=3,43576,32045

I used UHMW and it works great. One advantage is that adjusting the woodscrews that attach the runner to the sled gives you a microadjustment of the fit (as you tighten the material bulges out just a bit around the screw which tightens up the fit of the runner in the slot)

On 10/13/2016 at 5:01 PM, Andy Wright said:

One advantage is that adjusting the woodscrews that attach the runner to the sled gives you a microadjustment of the fit (as you tighten the material bulges out just a bit around the screw which tightens up the fit of the runner in the slot)

See now I would call that a disadvantage for the same reason of not liking the little in/ out adjusters on kreg rails. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2016 at 7:16 PM, Pug said:

After dozens of picture frames, I think I finally wore out my miter saw sled.

Upon planning a new one, I was thinking about using some premade metal runners for the new sled.  I do have some quarter sawn white oak in the scrap bin, so I could use that.

Anyone use these before?  Are they worth the cost and effort?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=65247&cat=1,43455

i bought the microjig zero play and they work fantastic