Premade runners?

rodger.

After dozens of picture frames, I think I finally wore out my miter saw sled.

Upon planning a new one, I was thinking about using some premade metal runners for the new sled.  I do have some quarter sawn white oak in the scrap bin, so I could use that.

Anyone use these before?  Are they worth the cost and effort?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=65247&cat=1,43455

I actually do not like them.  They have the little adjusters because they won't fit snuggly in all slots.  If you are trying to adjust your mitre sled, do you measure from the bar or the adjusters?  If the adjusters, which one is touching? 

The best fit for your mitre slot is a runner you can fit perfectly to it. 

• Like 1

The cost is not really a deterrent.  I will use this sled to make about a hundred frames (or more) in its useful lifetime.  I don't mind spending some money upfront to get excellent results and comfort/convience in the long run.  That being said, I don't want to waste money either.  If these metal runners are no better than QSWO, then I will use the oak and be on my way!

The last time I made runners I used baltic birch ply.  Cut them close to proper thickness at the table saw then dialed them in perfect with the drum sander.  They're half end grain so they don't really wear, and they're stable so you don't have the tight/loose problems as the seasons change.  I'll never go back to hardwood runners now, and I would never waste $70 on metal ones.

• Like 1

You can buy them directly from Incra for $25/$35 instead of $35/50. I put them on my crosscut sled and they work great. I tried hardwood runners and I had nothing but trouble. It could be the dramatic humidity swings in a North Carolina summer or it could be that I am a terrible woodworker. Honestly, it could have been either one. But I don't regret putting these on my sled. They work flawlessly.

-E

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I used purpleheart runners on my son's desk.   We have had a full seasonal humidity cycle and no problems yet.  I built the drawers last August (peak humidity here) so went for a really tight fit, knowing it would open up a bit.  I used quartersawn cherry (which moves very little) for the drawer sides.  I did side hung drawers, so the runners fit into a groove in the cherry sides.  

I will give BB a try next time around   

Table saw runners, Mike.

Yeah in furniture you don't have much choice...no metal allowed.  QS material is your best bet for sure.

• Like 1

Sorry, day drinking again. Unemployment will do that to a man.  I just read "runners" without reading the whole thread (or noticing this is jigs and fixtures).  

On the tablesaw sled I built last week I used QS cherry.  I will let you know it holds up.  The sled itself is 3/4" baltic birch.  Heavy but solid.  

Unemployment? Since when are you unemployed?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I am not really unemployed.  I am on "garden leave". I took a new job, but my prior employer requirered that I take a paid (by them) leave between jobs so that I can't solicit clients or employees.  They are paying me not to compete. 

How much time off do you have? Hope we can see a bunch of pieces come out of your shop in this time !

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

no metal allowed

Pocket screws, man, you forgot about those. jk. But seriously, most door hinges are made metal, so there's that. The context was drawers I guess though, now that I realize you're just referring to Mike's confusion, so...yeah. Nevermind.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

The sled itself is 3/4" baltic birch

I am about to make a new TS sled, I have 3/4" and 1/2" baltic on hand...I was assuming the 3/4" was the better option, anyone think different?

22 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I am not really unemployed.  I am on "garden leave". I took a new job, but my prior employer requirered that I take a paid (by them) leave between jobs so that I can't solicit clients or employees.  They are paying me not to compete. 

Would love to get one of those next time I move around...enjoy the time! Can I ask, did you have this pre-arranged in an employment agreement when you took the job, or was it negotiated after the fact?

Just now, JosephThomas said:

Pocket screws, man, you forgot about those. jk. But seriously, most door hinges are made metal, so there's that. The context was drawers I guess though, now that I realize you're just referring to Mike's confusion, so...yeah. Nevermind.

Um, yeah...I didn't say "no hardware."  Finely machined solid brass hinges are A-OK.  Just no classless metal slides on fine furniture.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

A couple months at least... it is a little up in the air.  Right now I am focusing on shop upgrades.   I spent almost zero time planning/building out my shop because I was so anxious to build real stuff.   Electrician is coming tomorrow to pull a 220/30a circuit for the drum sander that is coming friday.  It will take me a day to get it set up.  

I am adding biesemeyer style rails and a very supercool tools fence to my table saw.  I bought a cast iron router table wing that will also go in my TS.  Shop reorg/cleaning.  

I do have 2 projects going (my stickley cabinet and a wall cabinet) but those are on hold until I get my DS and TS projects done.  Then I will be building an Ash bathroom vanity.  If I can get all that done by Christmas I will be happy.  

Very cool ! Which drum sander? Let me guess 

http://woodmasterdrumsanders.com/2675

There is some truth to that.  The more people have something, the less I want it. I always admired the cow that was off by himself and not fighting the herd for a blade of grass.  

The 19/38 seems great and people really like it, but the Woodmaster is a better fit for my shop.

It can handle some light abrasive planing, and I do have access to nice wide boards  

It also has a small foot print and I bought the reversing kit.   In my small shop that is huge.  I can bury the outfeed side in a corner and just use the reverse mode to take a second pass and return the board/panel to the infeed side.  

25" is plenty of capacity for what I do.  If I ever need a 50" panel, I can domino the two halves together.  

I agree, way better sander. If I could afford that, that's what I would have also. What did you pay ?