FS: Lie Nielsen Blade

collinb

Went to an estate sale last week. If I'd had some extra funds there were two LN planes for $120 ea.  But alas. Lots of good deals (and lumber) I wasn't ready for.  Still, it was good.

Anyway, I ended up with a box of scrapers & other stuff. In the bottom was a LN blade.  Can't tell if it is the

"Low Angle Jack Plane Blade, 50 Degree" or the "Low Angle Jointer Blade" but looks like one of the two.

It can be yours for $35 shipped. US only. Will ship Priority.  PayPal accepted.

42 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

It is hard to tell which blade that is.  

Did they not change the steel to A-2 in the recent past?  Not sure which steel was used for this blade.  Food for thought: just bought a new A2 Lie-Nielsen LAJ blade for $40.

Just to clarify, all O-1 that I have purchased has been etched O-1. This is likely A-2. 

3 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Just to clarify, all O-1 that I have purchased has been etched O-1. This is likely A-2. 

All the blades I own are A-2.  Do you have any A-2 and can you tell a difference between the O-1 and A-2 varieties of tool steel?

Yes. The 0-1 takes a finer edge that cuts more easily but does not last as long. It is also honed in fewer passes. It fits well into the hone often camp. The A-2 stays much longer with a slightly less fine edge. The 0-1 in my miter plane ends up shooting end grain where I like the finer edge. The A-2 in almost everything else is just fine for utility work with only final smoothing needing a super fine edge. 

Does any of this matter to me? Not much. As a hobbiest I just want to skip the honing sometimes, but I cannot. Two passes or four? Do I always care or do I just run my program regardlesss of the iron in hand? 

12 hours ago, wnaziri said:

All the blades I own are A-2.  Do you have any A-2 and can you tell a difference between the O-1 and A-2 varieties of tool steel?

I have the LN 48, which comes with a O1 steel blade, and requires sharpening a lot more often than the rest of my LN planes. It sharpens quickly though.