Roubo Top Width

Matt S

I am planning my roubo build. The roubo bench will replace my existing bench that has a 39"x96" top. The roubo top plans call for a 24"x87" top. 

I've noticed a few members that have made >87" tops, but I don't recall seeing anyone make tops wider than 24". I am worried I will regret building a smaller width bench; I don't think I'll miss 9" of length.

Is there any reason I should stick to a 24" width?

If I decide to increase the width to 30" or 36", should I keep the front slab 12" wide or should I keep the split in the center of the bench?

Thanks.

Matt

A lot of the planning was centered around some power tool limitations. 12" slabs will go through a 13" lunchbox planer. The center also serves as a clamp drop. If you can reach the slot when you want that feature this also comes into play. Ultimately what fits your spot is the biggest determiner. 

Big is great if you have the space for it...but I've been using my Roubo for almost 5 years now and I don't really want for more depth.  If it were any bigger it would just collect more clutter.  Plus, it's fairly impossible to do any real work bent all the way across a three foot span...most of your work is done right at the front edge of the bench.

I have a number of "work surfaces," each with their own strengths and weaknesses.  The Roubo is for hand tool work, the MFT is for other hand-held tool work (with tails), outfeed table for assembly and finishing, miter station for miscellaneous uses, and what I call my "utility bench" which has a machinist's vise on it for even more random stuff.  Point is...I don't miss any extra size on the Roubo...it was built in a specific way for a specific purpose and it excels at that.

• Like 1

I have been using mine for just under a year and can't recall wishing it was bigger in width or length...Having said that issues you will face are pointed out above regarding equipment and such. The other thing that comes to mind is how heavy these tops are I honestly cannot imagine trying to move anything bigger than what I did by myself it got old real quick and there is a fair amount of moving them around during construction. Look forward to watching your build regardless :) 

• 1 month later...
On November 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Matt S said:

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will stick to the project plans. Maybe I can find room outside my shop to keep my existing bench for when I need more work surface. 

You won't regret sticking to the plans. The Roubo (maybe other than my table saw) is my shops biggest gem. It's a gem because the plans are perfect.