How to get large 4' x 8' sheets of plywood home from Lumber Yard with just a car

Some years ago when plywood wall paneling was the rage, I was about 8 cars behind some guy who had 12 sheets of the paneling tied to his car roof (no roof carrier). A few miles from where he likely picked it up his plywood panels started lifting and flying in all directions like sheets from a pile of paper if you ran without holding them down, then falling like leaves. Everyone following him (including me) began trying to dodge these as they fell. Somehow, none of us managed to get hit, but when the excitement stopped, cars and paneling were everywhere. Most of his paneling got damaged too much to use, except as partial sheets. I think he learned a very expensive lesson that day and I'm glad that no one got hurt.

Keeping the leading edge behind some kind of wind break helps a lot when hauling sheet stock of any kind, even thin sheets of steel. Unfortunately, no car carriers seem to be designed this way. I'll stick to using one of my trucks and keep the sheets below and behind the cab.

People in general seem to have no idea how to handle constructions materials safely. For that matter, they will also haul trailers at 70 mph that are in such poor condition that I wouldn't dare pull them around behind my lawn tractor.  At highway speeds any of this stupidity can become lethal to them or innocent people who are unlucky enough to be nearby.

Charley

I have a full size Ford E150 van with just front seats and I too think it is better than a pick-up.

Not only will it carry full sized 48 x 96 sheets of plywood, I can carry 10' long boards and keep them inside. In fact, if for some reason, I don't want or need to unload something, I just lock it up and everything is out of sight and the weather for days if need be.

I've been a "Van Fan" for years this is the fourth one I've owned. When the kids were around we had a van with four seats and a bed for naps in the back.

I even had a fully customized "hot rod" van for awhile....

IMG_1588_zpsr26gqnaq.jpg