How to get large 4' x 8' sheets of plywood home from Lumber Yard with just a car

6 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

Truck, trailer, or.....

I like this.  I have a Toyota Rav4 with a roof rack.   I've usually just had the panels cut down, the only time I've used the roof rack is to carry 12' boards.   I try to keep on the side roads, residential streets on the way home with less traffic and such but I don't feel comfortable driving fast with stuff on the roof.   Takes a lot longer, but it's not that big of a deal.

I like how he's made a solid connection from the rack to the 2x4s, and adding hooks on the front to keep the boards from traveling forward if you hit the brakes.   Still, just take it slow on the way home.

If your Jetta doesn't have a roof rack, you can buy one from VW.   At least a Jetta has a low roof, my RAV4 I need to bring along a short ladder to reach up to tie stuff down.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2016 at 2:45 PM, Minnesota Steve said:

If your Jetta doesn't have a roof rack, you can buy one from VW.   

Such an awesome idea. Thanks so much for finding that video. I searched YouTube for an hour, and that video never came up. I checked VW, and they do sell them, but they are $360. While the idea is killer, if you don't already have the roof rack, it doesn't really solve the financial problem of having to rent the Home Depot truck for $20 each time.  But really, thanks for the post. Very cool!

On 11/29/2016 at 4:14 AM, Dolmetscher007 said:

For the first time in all my life I do not have a single friend that owns a truck.

Easy solution. Find a married friend with a truck. 

On 11/29/2016 at 4:14 AM, Dolmetscher007 said:

For the first time in all my life I do not have a single friend that owns a truck.

Easy solution. Find a married friend with a truck. 

I've transported single sheets of plywood using roof racks on a '08 Hyundai Accent (which is to say, a smaller and lighter car than yours), but it was 3/4", so fairly solid. I'd recommend getting a good set of ratchet straps, the longer the better, if you're going to go this route. They're strong enough to break the rack before they break themselves, so be careful how much you tighten them. 

Avoid highways or super windy days and you'll be fine. I've gone 90km with plywood strapped to the roof, no wind, and was in complete control of the car at all times. 

Look up foam blocks for the gunnels of canoes.   They are trapezoid blocks, about 6"x6"x10" or so, with a slot cut into one side.  https://www.amazon.com/SportRack-SR5528-Canoe-Carrier-6-Inch for about $25.  This one shows it sitting on a roof rack, but they can just as easily sit on the roof itself.   You could easily make a H style bracket out of 3 2x4's, so the bracket would end up 8' long, and just wide enough to sit flush on your roof.   Open all your doors (this is optional, but if you don't, you'll have to enter or exit the vehicle dukes of hazzard style), and tie down the bracket with 2 rachet straps.  This will create a nice base for the sheets to ride on.  You could even add some L shaped brackets or something on the ends to keep the sheets from sliding forwards or back.

I've never carried sheet goods, but I have carried many canoes on many different cars in this fashion.  It's much cheaper than a trailer, which if you don't have a hitch or a trailer buying those will cost more than renting the truck a dozen times or so. 

I routinely carry up to four 8'x4' sheets of 3/4" ply on my Subaru Legacy wagon roof rack.  I've also carried light stuff like drywall, luan, and thin ply.  The only time I had a problem was when I only used one strap instead of two and then took the highway (temporary insanity).  Just make sure that it is tightly strapped down (I use ratchet straps), and keep your speed below 40.

If it's breezy in the parking lot when you are loading, get a second person to help.  One person cannot control an 8x4 sheet when the wind gets under it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dolmetscher007 said:

Such an awesome idea. Thanks so much for finding that video. I searched YouTube for an hour, and that video never came up. I checked VW, and they do sell them, but they are $360. While the idea is killer, if you don't already have the roof rack, it doesn't really solve the financial problem of having to rent the Home Depot truck for $20 each time.  But really, thanks for the post. Very cool!

If I have to make more than 2 trips per project to buy sheet goods then I start to get angry. Using that as a gauge,  if your threshold is to be cheaper than just paying $20-40 a project (1-2 trips in the Lowes truck), then you probably aren't going to find a better answer to your problem

I live in the city, and always thought that guys that drove pickups around here were idiots.  Then, when I started thinking about getting a new vehicle,  I looked at a bunch of larger SUVs and made the realization that the reason I need a larger vehicle is for carrying around loads of sheet goods and lumber, as well as two stinky, muddy dogs.  But I can't/don't want a full sized pickup.  Where I live, the streets are quite narrow, and parking is always very tight.

When all was said and done, I ended up buying one of the new Honda Ridglelines.  The thing is awesome.  Its small enough to drive comfortably in the city, is easy to park, and can easily carry full 4x8 sheets.  I know this doesn't help the OP, but I am now fully a believer in the utility of trucks, even for a city guy like me...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xxdabroxx said:

The ridgelines (as much as I hate to admit it) are really pretty capable trucks too.  I have a buddy that had one and took it all over offroad too, fire roads, desert, etc.  Nothing hard core, but places you wouldn't expect to see a honda.

For my purposes, it's great.  The trunk in the bed of the truck is very useful, and the way they did the back seats is also very smart for storage.   The in bed speaker system seems pretty cool, although I haven't used it a lot yet.  In theory is can haul a fair amount, but I probably will never use it to it's full capability.  I suspect this is also the case for the majority of city truck guys like me...

Install a roof rack and get some good ratchet straps. I have a Chevy Tahoe and installed a nice safari rack on top. This is how I transport sheet goods. I don't need to use the highway to get home, but would have no problem if I did. I also make sure the plywood is completely secured using 4 ratchet straps. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. The worst part is getting them on and off the roof. A little 4x8 flatbed is in the works. Harbor freight sells a cheap one and will serve the purpose that I need. 

A well designed and secured loaded roof rack should be able to easily rock a vehicle back and forth with little to no give in the rack.  With any transport method, the load is unsafe if it is not secured properly.  A home built rack like I describe is often stronger than some after market ones if the rack is secured through the interior of the vehicle, and then the load tightly secured to that, or even securing the load through the interior. 

I have struggled with this as well.  I have a sub compact (corolla) and get can lots of hardwood, trim, etc in there.  Whoever invented fold down seats should be praised daily.

When I get ply, I can fit two sheets in the corolla with little trouble, as long as they are ripped in half (or close-up I think 34" width is my max).

I would love a truck, but it just doesn't seem super practical.  I can get a great hatchback for 1/2 the cost, and that will meet 95% of my needs.  The last 5% will be truck rental.

• Like 2

I have struggled with this as well.  I have a sub compact (corolla) and get can lots of hardwood, trim, etc in there.  Whoever invented fold down seats should be praised daily.

When I get ply, I can fit two sheets in the corolla with little trouble, as long as they are ripped in half (or close-up I think 34" width is my max).

I would love a truck, but it just doesn't seem super practical.  I can get a great hatchback for 1/2 the cost, and that will meet 95% of my needs.  The last 5% will be truck rental.

Same for me...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, mat60 said:

Its all cool.  I have taken all my post down on this thread.

I think you should have left your posts here.

I didn't say much in my other post on this thread, but I will get rather blunt now. I am not pointing fingers at anyone.

I have seen a lot things in 4 million miles of driving; 2.5 million miles of that flatbedding.

Sheet goods on top of a vehicle has a lot of upward force coming off of the windshield. Driving into the wind increases it dramatically. Most people have no idea how much stress the lead strap is being subjected to. A strong gust of wind could exceed the breaking point. Meeting a semi on a windy day can cause a severe gust of wind. You may have made that trip dozens of times and never hit that gust of wind yet.

• Like 1