When and why do *you* use sketchup?

erikreagan

• 4 months later...

I do everything first in SU.. visual learning has always bn a great benefit for me. Working out all the details in SU helps me not to miss the little things and to see points that might be difficult.

This has worked out very well for me. Been using SU since '01, still enjoy working with it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just did the math and realized that I've been using SketchUp since I was in tenth grade - that's 12 years. Woah.

I use it for pretty much everything design-wise, and even print screenshots of dimensions from it so I can take them into the shop or to the lumberyard. I've actually done some crazy stuff where I create full-scale templates. I put it in perspective camera mode, get the camera dead-on centered on what I want to print, add dimensions to the x and y values, and export a high resolution screenshot as a jpeg file. I then open up said jpeg in photoshop (actually I use Pixelmator, but it's functionally the same) and scale the image so that it will print 1:1 to the scale in the picture. Then my printer spits it out in neat 8.5x11 sheets that I can stitch together. What I lose in time I gain in convenience.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

@denette, are you using only the 'free' version of SketchUp? I like the ease of modeling with it, but making "measured drawings" is a major headache. I'd like to hear more about this jpeg export trick.

Under "file", go to "export", then select "2D graphic"

@denette, are you using only the 'free' version of SketchUp? I like the ease of modeling with it, but making "measured drawings" is a major headache. I'd like to hear more about this jpeg export trick.

What PHinds said. Add dimensions to it, then open a new file in photoshop. Set the canvas size to be the exact reading of the dimensions you added on the SketchUp file. Import the jpeg that SketchUp exported. Stretch it so that the dimensions in the photoshop match the dimensions of the image. When you print it, your printer *should* split the image across multiple sheets.

Edit: and yes, I'm just using the free version.

54 minutes ago, Denette said:

What PHinds said. Add dimensions to it, then open a new file in photoshop. Set the canvas size to be the exact reading of the dimensions you added on the SketchUp file. Import the jpeg that SketchUp exported. Stretch it so that the dimensions in the photoshop match the dimensions of the image. When you print it, your printer *should* split the image across multiple sheets.

Edit: and yes, I'm just using the free version.

+1, Say What? 

@denette, earlier you said "a high resolution screen shot", so I thought you might be using a screen capture, rather than an export.

As a Linux user, I have only the "my.sketchup.com" version available, which has no export function. To run the regular version of SketchUp, I have to start a Windows virtual machine. It works, but is a drag on my old laptop.

@denette, earlier you said "a high resolution screen shot", so I thought you might be using a screen capture, rather than an export.

As a Linux user, I have only the "my.sketchup.com" version available, which has no export function. To run the regular version of SketchUp, I have to start a Windows virtual machine. It works, but is a drag on my old laptop.

Gotcha. Yeah, the export function in the downloaded program has options for stuff like 2D exports and vector-based printing.

I'm with K Cooper on this one.  Tried Sketchup and wound up with Ketchup.  #2 pencil, eraser, ruler, calculator.  I got used to those first three where I worked in the mid 60s even before calculators were invented.

Ever wonder how people built furniture before they even had electricity?