Festool track saw disection

byegge

3 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

It's certainly different from the boring fanboy reviews you see on most other channels, where they get stuff sent by the manufacturer and they just talk about how wonderful it is.   That's the whole point of BOLTR, and you have to appreciate it for what it is.

EXACTLY! Thats what sucks about fanboy reviews, they tell us a bunch of stuff we already know. Everyone knows whats great about the high priced/overcharging, top 5-10% companies like Festool. I want to know whats BAD about them. To me thats more useful information and helps me make a more informed decision. If nothing else it lets me understand what Im getting into better. And NO product from ANY company is 100% perfect. We just have to find the ones that have the least amount of problems/cheap parts/issues/gotchas/caveats/etc.

I've never seen this guy before and I must admit, he is a bit abrasive. He'd like to think himself witty and funny, but it ain't workin' for me, as he comes across as pretentious and condescending. I think, however, to give him his due.... while he entirely misses the superior engineering concept of the Festool, he hits the execution thereof, spot on. A $1000.00 saw with plastic construction, proprietary parts, plain bearings, and the like, is simply a joke.... a joke only those not given to conspicuous consumption will get.

There is only one thing more annoying than Festool fanboys.... people who hate festool based to the price.  

I have a fair amount of festool.  No, I don't own it for conspicious consumption.  You won't see a neatly stacked wall of festool in my project journals  and I don't have festool floormats and stickers on my wall.   It saves me time and gives me good results.  Full stop.  The tracksaw, domino, sanders.... they all give you clean, repeatable, quick results.  Like everyone, my time and money are in scarce resources, but my time especially so.  

Honestly, I could give a crap if there is some plastic inside.  The stuff works.  

4 hours ago, ewkearns said:

A $1000.00 saw with plastic construction, proprietary parts, plain bearings, and the like, is simply a joke.... a joke only those not given to conspicuous consumption will get.

Are there quality hand power tools without proprietary parts?   Is there one I can cobble up with parts from Home Depot?  

The problem with value is it is different for each person and depends heavily on their pocket book and their specific needs.  There are times a Harbor Freight tool represents good value to me and times when a Festool represents a higher value.  I could probably build every project I have built over the last 25 years with tools/machines from Harbor Freight but no one would want to be around me after I had spent the day in the shop.  

I agree that the reviewer has some rough edges and can be of-putting. That being said, as someone else noted, he has more than a passing knowledge of manufacturing processes and the engineering that go into them. Anyone who has purchased anything that has' planned obsolescence' built in has experienced 'buyer's remorse' if the item does not deliver a fair market value. I enjoy seeing someone 'poke the bear' every now and then. Especially if it is backed up by facts and proper prior preparation. What I really want to know is where is Shanneymack?

Edited by Rex Edgar
Brevity and grammar

Take this guys videos for what they are. He tears apart tools and comments on the construction and engineering put into them with what seems like a somewhat educated eye.

I can only stomach so much of him but its interesting for a minute. He does things to tools no ine else is doing. Theres a follow up to the tracksaw video where he hooks it up to some oscilloscopes amd other gizmos and looks at the electronic speed control.

I saw this video a long time ago and it didnt dissuade me from buying one. Dont take his vids as tool reviews cuz he knows squat about using them. Its just analysis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 2:37 PM, HuxleyWood said:

Are there quality hand power tools without proprietary parts?   Is there one I can cobble up with parts from Home Depot?  

The problem with value is it is different for each person and depends heavily on their pocket book and their specific needs.  There are times a Harbor Freight tool represents good value to me and times when a Festool represents a higher value.

The tools I own have their fair amount of proprietary parts.... but the reality is that they have standard bearings and fasteners. I'd call that a minimum.

Living at the coast, I have my fair amount of Harbor Freight Handtools as they are cheap enough to be expendable to the salt water gods. Their proprietary parts (especially batteries and non-obtainables, after the sale) also put them squarely in my expendable category.

If you love your $1,000 plastic saw, I think that's great.

Yea thats the one thing about AvE's video that bugged me, its not a $1000 saw. Its actually a $530 saw if you call ToolNut or FestoolProducts or the equivalent and ask to just by the saw by itself. Thats about half of $1000. Even converted to CAD (because AvE is in Canada) it's under $700. Adding the track is only another ~$130 USD ($170 CAD) which still doesnt get you to $1000 in USD or CAD.

• Like 1