Lumber Storage Rack Question

bushwacked

it's 7'6" to the bottom of the joists.  There are some pipes etc below the joist level, but not a lot and not by much.  The most egregious item is my Jet air cleaner, but it's not terrible.  

I just double checked and it's 7'8" to the bottom of the joists.  So maybe I can store vertically after all! (not...)

• Like 1

thanks for all the help and thoughts on this guys! 

Sorry I should have specified a little bit more. I am in a 2 car garage and as awesome as a rolling cart would be, I need all my lumber up on the walls. 

So for the walls it sounds like I can get the prebuilt wracks and just put them in closer spacing to make them stronger or build a solution like Jay or Mark have done. I will most likely do every other stud, if not every stud for support and then toss a 1/2" sheet of plywood on it for a bottom support for all the small pieces.

Now another question I have is there a weight limit I should try not to surpass overall on the weight of the wood and the wall? I dont want the wall to collapse haha. I doubt I will ever have thousands of pounds on there, but maybe for a few days or a week or 2 I may get kinda close if I have a big project come up and just have not gotten to the wood to work with.

On 2/26/2017 at 8:15 AM, C Shaffer said:

The problem is "most." "Most" is wrong. In fact, that cart is in line with the scrap cart at the cabinet shop where my dad works. I am with most, and don't want anything that big in my garage or I could not work while it rains. I'd need sunny weather to wheel it out first. I think that is why wall racks are such a big topic in these forums. 

I'm in the opposite boat, I'm in a rented space where I cannot mount a rack to the wall.  I do have enough space for a cart like that, so I will be going in that direction.   I don't think any solution is wrong, just there is the a best solution for each situation. 

• Like 1

That is an interesting rack there ... not sure how functional it would be though trying to get to that back side and a piece of wood on the bottom. No easy way to pull it out from what I see. Plus looks like it takes up about 5-6 ft of space, which in my garage would be a deal breaker. 

I could see this in a big shop where you didnt have to jam it up on the wall though. That would be a nice solution

• 2 weeks later...