Planer/Jointer

Grant Goodrich

On 8/9/2017 at 8:47 PM, Rube said:

Speaking of a combination jointer/planer, I was thinking bling of picking one up since I have limited space in my garage work shop. I'm considering the Jet JJP-12 and have only seen two good reviews of it on YouTube. Does any one here have any experience with this or any other thoughts?

I think this is an interesting question maybe worth it's own thread.  That combo isn't cheap enough to be a write off like some others and it MIGHT be a solid machine. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2017 at 8:47 PM, Rube said:

Speaking of a combination jointer/planer, I was thinking bling of picking one up since I have limited space in my garage work shop. I'm considering the Jet JJP-12 and have only seen two good reviews of it on YouTube. Does any one here have any experience with this or any other thoughts?

Our local Woodcraft had a Jet JJP-12 on display and I talked to the guys about it.   It's pretty nice, easy to switch from planer to jointer, and the guys said it was pretty precise too.

I would consider it seriously unless you can find a deal on a Hammer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Our local Woodcraft had a Jet JJP-12 on display and I talked to the guys about it.   It's pretty nice, easy to switch from planer to jointer, and the guys said it was pretty precise too.

I would consider it seriously unless you can find a deal on a Hammer.

The reason I ask is cause I found one at a really good price. I think I will go with the JJP-12. I just need to figure out how to get it from Austin to Boerne before he sells to someone else.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, Rube said:

Yes. I have one and it is not all that good, for the reasons you see in reviews.

It's cheaply made, the beds are too short, the adjustment is limited, and the quality of the machine does not lend to holding what few adjustments you can make. It is just not a good solid machine; looks and feels chintzy.

That said, I've gotten a few projects out of it, and it cost me very little when compared to stand-alone tools.

From my experience Jet has excellent customer support.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 4:44 PM, davewyo said:

Yes. I have one and it is not all that good, for the reasons you see in reviews.

It's cheaply made, the beds are too short, the adjustment is limited, and the quality of the machine does not lend to holding what few adjustments you can make. It is just not a good solid machine; looks and feels chintzy.

That said, I've gotten a few projects out of it, and it cost me very little when compared to stand-alone tools.

From my experience Jet has excellent customer support.

The JJP-12?   Not talking about the 8" or 10" model.   They're completely different machines.  

I have the JJP-8BT, and I think that's what you are describing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

The JJP-12?   Not talking about the 8" or 10" model.   They're completely different machines.  

I have the JJP-8BT, and I think that's what you are describing.

I'm very sorry. I stand corrected. I have the Jet JJP-10BTOS.

Disregard all I said. I don't know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I ended up getting the Jet JJP-12 Jointer/Planer combination machine. It came in on Monday and it was square, coplanar, and all that jazz right out of the crate. Now all I have to do is get the correct plug and receptacle. I'm looking to run SES from the power panel outside to a junction box on where I plan on housing the JJP-12. From there, I'll run SO cable from the box and terminate with a NEMA L6-30C and terminate the JJP-12 cable with a NEMA L6-30P. Once done and I'm able to play with it for a while, I'll post a full review with pics and all.

13 hours ago, Rube said:

So I ended up getting the Jet JJP-12 Jointer/Planer combination machine. It came in on Monday and it was square, coplanar, and all that jazz right out of the crate. Now all I have to do is get the correct plug and receptacle. I'm looking to run SES from the power panel outside to a junction box on where I plan on housing the JJP-12. From there, I'll run SO cable from the box and terminate with a NEMA L6-30C and terminate the JJP-12 cable with a NEMA L6-30P. Once done and I'm able to play with it for a while, I'll post a full review with pics and all.

Awesome, I want to hear how it works out.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, Mick S said:

Here in the States we call these jointers. In England they're called planers. What we call planers they call thicknessers. So, in England what we call a combination jointer/planer, they call a planer thicknesser. 

So "plane" simply means "flat surface" -- which makes a lot of sense. What is logical is not always conventional.