Planer/Jointer

Grant Goodrich

Hello!

I am very new to woodworking but am loving it so far. I've been doing a lot of research and practicing a good deal. I just inherited an old Craftsman 6 1/8" jointer/planer combo and just can't seem to figure out how to use it to plane. I've attached a picture I found online of the same model since I don't have a picture of mine at the moment. Doesn't a planer have to cut from above so the jointed side can rest on the table?

i can take more in-depth pictures of my own if that would help.

Thanks,

Grant

IMG_2147.JPG

It is not a combo machine.  it is just a jointer.  craftsman's branding of those was really confusing.  It is not a thickness planer and can not function as one.  

Well that's disappointing. I guess I figured as much since there's no way to feed the lumber under the blade. Why would they say Jointer/Planer? Because you can joint faces? Confusing. Thanks for the lightning fast response! I guess I'll keep learning how to use my hand planes better until I can invest in an actual planer.

Grant

49 minutes ago, Mike. said:

It is not a combo machine.  it is just a jointer.  craftsman's branding of those was really confusing.  It is not a thickness planer and can not function as one.  

Well, I'd think if you suspended it from the ceiling upside down with some chain hoists, and pushed the wood underneath it, it might work as a plane......

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

Well, I'd think if you suspended it from the ceiling upside down with some chain hoists, and pushed the wood underneath it, it might work as a plane......

Inca used to make an 8" jointer that had a thickness planer attachment that clamped over the cutterhead. I never was fond of the thing.

3 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Inca used to make an 8" jointer that had a thickness planer attachment that clamped over the cutterhead. I never was fond of the thing.

While my comment was a joke, you do bring up a good point though.  I have seen true combo planer/jointers that have the jointer on top and a planer running underneath using the same cutting head.  Apparently they're common in Europe?

3 minutes ago, Grant Goodrich said:

I do have a choice between the one I posted above and this one. Which should I choose? I originally chose the first because it had a planer, or so I thought. I don't have the model number for this one but can get it tomorrow.

IMG_2148.JPG

I'm 95% sure that's a router table, not a planer or jointer.  It looks identical to the table I just got rid of.   Granted it was for the wings of a TS, so this one seems a bit wider, but it has the same fence, blade guard, miter slot, and dust port.   The actual cutting head is difficult to see, so it may be just a case of craftsman reusing designs, but I"m pretty sure thats a router table. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grant Goodrich said:

Why would they say Jointer/Planer?

Micks has your answer.  Its a terminology thing.  We use "lumber", other places use "timber".  We route, they "root", we "rabbet", they "rebate" and so on.  Your other picture is a benchtop router table.  Dad had one of these little guys.

I would slow down a bit and think about what tools are going to do you the most good.  Picking up low end tools at a bargain price is not always a bargain.  You don't have to create a lot of $5 per board foot scrap to wish you had spent a bit more or searched a bit longer for a given machine.

You will hear people refer to a jointer as a simple machine.  That is true but, if it does not work correctly it is totally worthless . . . there is not "almost" in jointing.  This is arguably your first step in milling material and all following steps use the jointed surface as a reference.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.  I just don't want you becoming frustrated with your results when a substandard machine may be to blame.  A Martin D-45 won't make me a guitarist but, a poor instrument will sure discourage me from learning to play.

• Like 1

That is definitely a router table. Craftsman advertised it with "EDGE" jointer capabilities. The outfeed side of the fence  fence has a a piece that adjusts in and out for the offset of the cut. I had one of these many years ago. The aluminium table made it very difficult to slide work pieces through the bit. Also the wings were almost impossible to keep flat with the table. Not really practical for use as a jointer.

3 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Micks has your answer.  Its a terminology thing.  We use "lumber", other places use "timber".  We route, they "root", we "rabbet", they "rebate" and so on.  Your other picture is a benchtop router table.  Dad had one of these little guys.

I would slow down a bit and think about what tools are going to do you the most good.  Picking up low end tools at a bargain price is not always a bargain.  You don't have to create a lot of $5 per board foot scrap to wish you had spent a bit more or searched a bit longer for a given machine.

You will hear people refer to a jointer as a simple machine.  That is true but, if it does not work correctly it is totally worthless . . . there is not "almost" in jointing.  This is arguably your first step in milling material and all following steps use the jointed surface as a reference.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.  I just don't want you becoming frustrated with your results when a substandard machine may be to blame.  A Martin D-45 won't make me a guitarist but, a poor instrument will sure discourage me from learning to play.

Thanks, gee-dub. I definitely don't want to waste my time, effort, and money in materials but am a poor teacher who can't afford power tools at this point and free tools from the great grandad are too tempting. Are you saying this jointer is not worth my time?

2 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

That is definitely a router table. Craftsman advertised it with "EDGE" jointer capabilities. The outfeed side of the fence  fence has a a piece that adjusts in and out for the offset of the cut. I had one of these many years ago. The aluminium table made it very difficult to slide work pieces through the bit. Also the wings were almost impossible to keep flat with the table. Not really practical for use as a jointer.

Wood butcher,

Is the table good for plain-old routing and not jointing? It comes with a router (not sure which one at this point).

Thanks!

Grant

If you clean it up and are meticulous about setting the knives that jointer will do a good job for its size. Read the instructions, gather all the tools needed . Good quality allen wrenches help, old worn ones are no good for this. I suggest starting when you are fresh with no time pressure. It's worth getting the blades adjusted all to the same height.

When you start taking it apart to clean ,take notes, take pictures and put small parts in labeled ziplock bags. Send the blades out to be sharpened. If your eyesight isn't 20/20 reading glasses or a magnifying headband are helpful. A good straightedge is handy too.

I would say that the Craftsman jointer will test your patience.I also had one it was my first jointer way before the internet so I didn't really know what I was up against.

Since you cannot adjust the out feed table you will have to be very precise setting the knives.Look for a jointer that has a adjustable outfeed table.

Aj

4 hours ago, Grant Goodrich said:

Thanks, gee-dub. I definitely don't want to waste my time, effort, and money in materials but am a poor teacher who can't afford power tools at this point and free tools from the great grandad are too tempting. Are you saying this jointer is not worth my time?

Wood butcher,

Is the table good for plain-old routing and not jointing? It comes with a router (not sure which one at this point).

Thanks!

Grant

It depends on the price. I used mine for a few years and it wasn't terrible for routing. I have since built my own router table with a laminate top. If the router that comes with it is decent you might be able to get started with it and then migrate the router to something a little better. To me the fence is the most important part of a router table and the Craftsman was really had to keep both sides aligned. I screwed a piece of 1/4" hardboard across both faces so the parts would slide through with out snipe.

8 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that shimmy doohicky thing on  the fence!  Mine had that too. 

@Grant Goodrich while it technically could joint boards, you would be limited by the size of your router bit.  So you are looking at 1", 1 1/2" tops, for jointing capability.  It's a nice little feature to have if you have a specific tiny piece you need jointed for a specific reason, but in no way would I consider it a go to day to day jointer setup. 

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

What kind of bandsaw did you get ?

It's an old Craftsman but it seems to work very smoothly. I think I'm most pleased with it. My table saw doesn't have a splitter on it and scares me to rip on it. Plus, the bandsaw has been fun. I also ended up taking the Delta scroll saw and tried it out. I had a lot of fun before the blade snapped. I'm guessing that's pretty common.

IMG_2164.JPG

• 1 month later...

Speaking of a combination jointer/planer, I was thinking bling of picking one up since I have limited space in my garage work shop. I'm considering the Jet JJP-12 and have only seen two good reviews of it on YouTube. Does any one here have any experience with this or any other thoughts?