Desk inspired by Doucette & Wolfe

wnaziri

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I agree wood movement is an important consideration but 1/4 - 1/2" across a 36" panel? That seems excessive on dry wood.

It is entirely possible that I am using the online wood movement calculator wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I took something simple and screwed it up :) I did a cherry writing desk a year or two ago and that was what my calculations came back with, so I assumed that would translate here. What would be the correct range of movement to expect in a 36" panel?

-E

On 11/21/2017 at 3:48 PM, Elroy Skimms said:

It is entirely possible that I am using the online wood movement calculator wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I took something simple and screwed it up :) I did a cherry writing desk a year or two ago and that was what my calculations came back with, so I assumed that would translate here. What would be the correct range of movement to expect in a 36" panel?

-E

Kiln dried wood aclimitized to its surroundings I would guess less than an 1/8", 1/4" max at least that's been my expierince.

On 11/21/2017 at 1:42 PM, Elroy Skimms said:

What a beautiful desk!

I'm curious, how did you address wood movement with so many screws in both long sides of the desk? I would assume somewhere between 1/4-1/2" in potential movement on that top. Are the holes in the poplar mounting brackets oversized to allow the bolt to move?

-E

Excellent question.  The top is secured to body of the desk in such a way as to allow for about 1/4" of movement.  I personally think that movement will be less than that.  I have had that anigre in my possession for over 15 years.  I suspect it is pretty acclimatized by now. The mortises are oversized and I hope that allows for adequate movement.

• Like 1