Desk inspired by Doucette & Wolfe

wnaziri

I am far enough along on this project now that I am starting to make plans for finishing the desk.  My initial thoughts were to try the Darrell Peart stain.  

Today, I did my first sample board without stain to see how I liked it.  After seeing this board, I almost think I have made up my mind already.  However, I will do a sample board with the stain tomorrow just to complete the thought.  This board right off the planer.

IMG_5060.thumb.jpg.bf483e54c716815a119816df5c8a9a65.jpg

I would like to know how you all feel about stain vs no stain.

I am starting to believe that applying stain might be sacrilegious.

17 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

I am starting to believe that applying stain might be sacrilegious.

I don't care to use stain, I avoid it at all cost.  I just like to let the wood be it's color like what you have above.  Having said that, I am working on a current project that I am shooting for a particular look so I am using a finishing process that involves stain, but I am coping a recipe that someone else came up with.

Dye on African mahogany is one thing.  Honduran needs no help in the color department.  Full stop.  It's gonna be dark and rich and beautiful within a year.  You'll only take away from its beauty by adding color.

Darrell Peart is dyeing African, FYI...to make it look like Honduran.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wnaziri said:

I had no idea.  Thanks for this tidbit of information.  

My favorite stain for African mahogany is Latex paint :D

African mahogany has some redeeming qualities, it just doesn't have the rich burgundy color of Honduran.  I wish they had never started labeling it as "mahogany" because now we have unrealistic expectations of it.  It has its problems but if it's judged in a vacuum and not compared to real mahogany there are things to like about it.  It has a nice, neutral, nutty brown color, an interesting texture when that is desired, and some nice ribbon figure when RS or QS.  It does have some fairly nasty grain to work with but it's not absolutely horrible like working with wenge or zebrawood.  Sharp planer blades and a drum sander make the grain issue fairly moot.

But yeah...side by side with Honduran it seems like complete dogshit.  But it's kind of unfair to compare the two because they really have nothing to do with each other.  It's like putting cherry next to rosewood and pooping on the cherry.  They're just...different.

Appearance preference is a personal taste thing.  Spalted maple is cool but, too much of it can be like looking at a 1960's pop-art poster for me,

59b144d026489_popart1.JPG.268e1c9f45528afa8ed4b01f3ea3869e.JPG

others love it and can't get enough.  The degree of contrast that suits your piece is up to you.

I am in the non-colorant camp but, I have some things that get a bit of help.  African Mahogany, Sipo, Sepele and even Cherry can be in that category.  When I do this it is for material that has a bit more contrast than I am after or has a characteristic I really want to keep but, is just a bit off in color match. 

This is not my usual finishing protocol.  I generally prefer greater care during material selection than to force things.  That being said, I will use a bit of dye on walnut that matches the un-colored oil finished material to lessen the lightening effect walnut goes through over time.  For cherry I may be trying to ease the differences between the rosy-red cherry colors and the salmon-pink cherry shades that run through certain material.

In the end, figure choices and coloration are as much a part of your design as the physical structure of a piece.  Go with your gut and enjoy the process. The desk is looking great.

32 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

In the end, figure choices and coloration are as much a part of your design as the physical structure of a piece

Well said.  A particular board or even a species may work great in one piece and terrible in another.  It's always situational.

• Like 2

I appreciated all the thoughtful comments.  The reason I find myself in a dilemma is the fact that I have never worked with boards as nice as these.  

I remember going through pics of figured mahogany sold by Irion Lumber as private stock and I would drool over the figure and the luster.  Now, i am actually using that kind of material!  I think you all know that I am fairly new to woodworking and I don't want to make an error that I might regret for years.

With the comments made thus far, at the moment, I am of the opinion that I should just let the natural color and figure of the mahogany speak for itself.  I did plane another board of the mahogany today but I did not have enough time to stain and apply finish.  I will do the stained sample board this weekend and hopefully make my final decision soon.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2017 at 8:51 PM, wnaziri said:

I will do the stained sample board this weekend and hopefully make my final decision soon.

I think that's really the only way you'll be able to decide. Like Eric said though, keep in mind what it will mature into a year from now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Chet said:

when are you going to hang that storm door you made.

I will install the dang door when I get the thing to my house.  I do not have a truck so I really don't have a means of moving these big items.  I find myself renting a moving van every so often to get things to our kids that are in college.  So, I will likely rent a van to get the desk and a few other things to my son and that will be my first opportunity to get the door to my house.

I wanted to buy a truck as my daily vehicle but my wife insisted that I should not be driving a truck to work.  So I bought a sedan, which is nice but it sucks as a work vehicle.  I am actually looking to buy a either a truck or a van, much to my wife's dismay.:P

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Have you planed a progression on the glue up? 

I don't know if I would call it a progression plan but I have a planned sequence in mind.   I am currently in the process of creating sub-assemblies by gluing pieces that can be glued, thus reducing the number of pieces in the puzzle.  Regardless of how much I have thought it through, I will likely get really  nervous about this big glue up because of my fear of screwing it all up.