Desk inspired by Doucette & Wolfe

wnaziri

1 hour ago, Lester Burnham said:

Wow, dude. Is that your shop or a shared workspace? I think I might've asked you that once before but I don't remember. If it's yours, you have far too much stock. I can be over anytime to remove some of that so you can have more room for activities. :ph34r:

It is not a shared workspace.  I don't like to share (:P).  Yes, I agree that I have too much lumber.  I realize I have a problem.  The first step in treatment is admitting you have a problem.  Now, I am sure what the next step is.  

On another note, I do need some walnut, cherry, and maple.......

As for space, I really have run out of room.  The reason it got out of control was that I could not just buy so many BF of anything.  A friend owns the lumber company and he exports nearly100% of his lumber to China.  He does not do retail sales.  He sold me mahogany, prime poplar, and wenge but I had to buy bundles of each.  The smallest bundle in stock for each was about 400 BF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Gonna be awesome.  I love everything D&W.  Good choice.

Just out of curiosity, what was your bf price on that mahogany?  Was it a flitch or just random boards?  And where did you get it?

I had to go back and look at my invoices.  I bought the lumber from a friend who owns a lumber company that exports the stuff to China.   He is based out of NY but has a factory about 35 miles from where I live.  So, if I can get a truck and carry the lumber out of his facility, he will sell the lumber to me at the prices he charges the Chinese.

He sold me prime figured mahogany 8/4 at $6.50 per BF; wenge 8/4 at $6 per BF, and prime poplar 4/4 at $1.80 per BF.

The 16/4 and 12/4 straight grain mahogany was a huge bundle that was rejected by the buyer (boards were too short and not uniform).  He sold me that at $4 per BF.   Interestingly enough, most of the 12/4 mahogany was actually highly figured. 

Needless to say, I did not turn any of it down.  I do have to look into a bigger shop next or a lumber storage place.

I know you work with lumber and would be interested in your thoughts.

3 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

I know you work with lumber and would be interested in your thoughts.

That's an incredible deal and the next time he has a bundle for that price, give me a call.  LOL  Those are my thoughts.  Hell of a score, dude.

I find genuine mahogany difficult to source...my guy doesn't typically stock it because it moves too slowly.  If you can believe that.  It is significantly more expensive when he does have it, and that's why it doesn't move...because people think African mahogany is mahogany and it's cheaper than genuine...so that's what they buy.

10 minutes ago, Eric. said:

That's an incredible deal and the next time he has a bundle for that price, give me a call.  LOL  Those are my thoughts.  Hell of a score, dude.

I find genuine mahogany difficult to source...my guy doesn't typically stock it because it moves too slowly.  If you can believe that.  It is significantly more expensive when he does have it, and that's why it doesn't move...because people think African mahogany is mahogany and it's cheaper than genuine...so that's what they buy.

if you lived closer to me in NC, I would be happy to share a bundle or two.  My friend does not care since he is getting his usual asking price.  

Genuine mahogany is not only beautiful but it is amazing to work with.  After I hand planed the boards last night, the variation in color and shimmer (chatoyance?) is incredible.  I have a couple board of African "mahogany" and I really dislike the stuff.  It is dense, very heavy, and difficult to work with.  The African mahogany is nothing like the genuine mahogany.  

16 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

The African mahogany is nothing like the genuine mahogany.  

Literally.  Because it's not actually mahogany.  Two entirely different families.

Well man, if I ever find myself heading out east, I'm gonna look you up.  I have a decent little stash of genuine...probably enough to build a highboy if I ever wanted to...but that's it.  And it's my favorite wood to work with so I hoard that stuff, which means I hardly ever get to actually use it.  I need more.

30 minutes ago, mat60 said:

At least its not pine like me.

Well if there's one species I wouldn't mind being allergic to...it's pine.

Mahogany does bother me more than any other species, especially when hand sanding...but it's worth it.  I just wear a respirator and suffer through.  Nothing short of a stroke will stop me from using it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 9:41 AM, wnaziri said:

if you lived closer to me in NC, I would be happy to share a bundle or two.  My friend does not care since he is getting his usual asking price.  

Where in NC...I go to OBX every summer.  If this offer is open to others besides Eric, I wouldn't mind taking a detour to split a bundle or two with you :)   If all his stuff looks anything like the boards pictured above I'd be happy working with nothing else for the rest of my life.  

Looking forward to following this build...D&W are my heroes.  I assume this is the desk you're building:  http://www.doucetteandwolfefurniture.com/Writing_Desk.html

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Unknown craftsman said:

I have no idea were you are going with all those parts layed out like that. But I love that wood and steam punk look of your shop with the dust collector pipes over head.B)

What brand tablesaw has a square throat plate?

Aj

AJ, the first set of pics are the desk but upside down.  The last pic is the front of the desk and it shows the drawer layout.

The saw is a Northfield No. 4 (northfieldwoodworking.com), enhanced with a VSC fence and sliding table.  To give you an idea, the tablesaw top is 4 feet by 4+ feet and the blade is 18".

14 minutes ago, mat60 said:

One sweet jointer you have.

Thanks.  That is my favorite tool in the shop on most days.  It is a Northfield 12" HD jointer, something every hobby woodworker needs :P.

• Like 1