Desk inspired by Doucette & Wolfe

wnaziri

Best of luck. There's always a 25% chance i blow the F up during a glue up. Something about hours and hours of dedication, concentration, and work going to hell during the glue up really boils my blood. It is easily one of the most frustrating aspects of the craft. Best of luck to your glue up, project looks awesome. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Best of luck. There's always a 25% chance i blow the F up during a glue up. Something about hours and hours of dedication, concentration, and work going to hell during the glue up really boils my blood. It is easily one of the most frustrating aspects of the craft. Best of luck to your glue up, project looks awesome. 

Wow, exact same here. Even after a perfect dry fit, the parts behave so much differently when you put glue on them. Next difficult glue up I do, I think I'll try slow set epoxy.

9 hours ago, drzaius said:

Wow, exact same here. Even after a perfect dry fit, the parts behave so much differently when you put glue on them. Next difficult glue up I do, I think I'll try slow set epoxy.

I feel better knowing that I am not the only woodworker that gets nervous about gluing.  I have always attributed my nerves to the fact that I am new to the trade.  I guess misery loves company.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

And I'm sure you've numbered each piece? At least I have to, if more than 2 pieces are involved!

I usually mark all my pieces with a pencil so I can keep track.  I am embarrassed to admit that on more than one occasion I have planed or sanded my marks; but not on the desk so far.  After I planed or sanded each component, I put a piece of blue tape with ID information on each piece.  I am getting smarter all the time :blink:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wnaziri said:

I usually mark all my pieces with a pencil so I can keep track.  I am embarrassed to admit that on more than one occasion I have planed or sanded my marks; but not on the desk so far.  After I planed or sanded each component, I put a piece of blue tape with ID information on each piece.  I am getting smarter all the time :blink:

+ 1 on the blue tape

• 1 month later...

She came out great.  The hand made pulls give a great offset to the lighter colored rawer fronts.  The way all the joinery came together shows good solid planning in your design.  The contrasting dowel color is a nice touch and just adds one more element to draw the eye to the care and craftsmanship.  Really a wonderful piece.

• 3 weeks later...

What a beautiful desk!

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 12:47 AM, wnaziri said:

I then used small blocks of poplar and my Domino to secure the top really well.  I used the wood tapping bits that Mark and Andy were selling earlier this year. The screws were 1/4" stainless steel screws for securing the desk top to the body of the desk.  Worked like a charm.  I think I will be using this method unless I learn a better method.  I should note that this method will allow for plenty of movement by the top.

I'm curious, how did you address wood movement with so many screws in both long sides of the desk? I would assume somewhere between 1/4-1/2" in potential movement on that top. Are the holes in the poplar mounting brackets oversized to allow the bolt to move?

-E

55 minutes ago, Elroy Skimms said:

What a beautiful desk!

I'm curious, how did you address wood movement with so many screws in both long sides of the desk? I would assume somewhere between 1/4-1/2" in potential movement on that top. Are the holes in the poplar mounting brackets oversized to allow the bolt to move?

-E

I agree wood movement is an important consideration but 1/4 - 1/2" across a 36" panel? That seems excessive on dry wood.