Black Belt Display

wtnhighlander

On August 10, 2017 at 5:23 PM, mat60 said:
Sounds good to me.   Is someone in your family a black belt?  I also use alot of blue tape. default_smile.png

My 16 year old nephew received his 1st degree black about 2 weeks ago. Pretty big deal, as I understand it. I wasn't there, still waiting for Sis to send me the video. They tell me he is so fast, that when he is asked to perform a kata, he can stand there and say 'Want to see it again?'. And not be kidding.

On lighter woods, I just use a pencil. But walnut is hard to mark clearly, even with that white 'charcoal' pencil I used to mark the curved cut. Blue tape and sharpie, to the rescue!

• Like 2

I have to say, I gained a lot of respect for the spokeshave while fairing the curve of the top piece. My bansaw cut was close, but not close enough. Spindle sander got closer, but just not a fair arc. Tried using the off-cut as a sanding block, and it worked, but veeeery slow. I couldn't believe how easy it was to make all the waves along the curve disappear with the spokeshave.

Worked well on the rods, too. I didn't feel confident tring to turn those on my 'lathe' ( using that term loosly). So I cut them square, rounded the corners with my router table, and did final fitting with a spokeshave and card scraper.

• Like 1

Last night, I decided that the iron acetate treatment just didn't look dark enough, so I switched to india ink.

Here is the part that is supposed to be black:

eb0784ca6abb05895aa3c44f29ba436f.jpg

You can see it is relatively purple, with a lighter streak showing through. Cool in some cases, but not what I wanted here. So I went back to my finish testing scrap, and this is the result with india ink on the right end.

b58e805abc36a889cbb1dbf0e86f1167.jpg

Much mo' betta. However, when the ink dried, I sprayed a bit of lacquer to see how it looked under clear coat. Sorry for the glare, lacquer is still wet.

106c128b58348d2abb2ec1625b8bc6e4.jpg

After spraying, there was hardly a difference. Oh well, it looks good with the ink.

Here's another method I forgot about until after I used the ink - Kiwi liquid shoe polish, in the sponge applicator bottle. It is actually a leather dye, and leave a deep flat black, that isn't as messy to apply or handle, as the ink.

I'm guessing this element is black because it was inspired by some sho-shugi ban (sp?) piece, but I didn't want to risk burning my shop down. Especially since I received (at work) a new NFPA standard regarding the handling of flammable dust.">

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, wtnhighlander said:

On lighter woods, I just use a pencil. But walnut is hard to mark clearly, even with that white 'charcoal' pencil I used to mark the curved cut. Blue tape and sharpie, to the rescue!

Ross, try these General's.  They're the best white charcoal pencils I've found.  They dull quickly and you have to sharpen them often, but they leave very clear, distinct lines on dark woods.  They don't work great on oily woods like cocobolo but they're awesome on walnut and mahogany.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8A6HK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81tGXye7qIL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

Ross, try these General's.  They're the best white charcoal pencils I've found.  They dull quickly and you have to sharpen them often, but they leave very clear, distinct lines on dark woods.  They don't work great on oily woods like cocobolo but they're awesome on walnut and mahogany.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8A6HK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81tGXye7qIL._SL1500_.jpg

I think that's what I'm using, based on an earier recommendation from you. Yes, it leaves a very visible mark, its just hard to keep the tip from crumbling away.

21 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:
1 hour ago, RichardA said:
Helluva job Ross, the young'un's gonna love it.  Did you find that oak you were looking for?

Looks like the guy in Murphreesboro probably has what I need. Working on design details to nail down the total bf necessary.

Let me know when you're headed this way, and I'll meet you. Hell, I might even pick up some wood while there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

There are two pegs that are mortised through the lower part of the back. I'm wondering, will epoxy will work to hold them in if I get poly around the mortices? I hate to tape them off, because there is likely to be a visible demarkation.

Any hints?

I think that the epoxy will adhere to the finish which seeps into a mortise, but it's not nearly as strong as raw wood.

On the other hand, why take a chance?

Put a  "throw-away" plug into the mortise while you're pre-finishing, and pop it out whenever you thinks it's appropriate. It could be a chop-stick or a railroad-sized spike of wood, or a dowel.

I'm not sure what you need to avoid masking because you haven't provided any photos (hint, hint).;)

• Like 1