So long bubinga...

Tpt life

Unless I'm misunderstanding it, it looks like its only certain types of Bubinga and that it actually started in the beginning of 2017. So this should be old news by now right? If you're still seeing Bubinga in your local shops it might not be one of the species noted here?

I am seeing traffic that Canadian tool manufacturers are having products withheld and the Quansheng Woodriver are being stopped at the border. No personal experience myself. Made me dig and I found this. I think we may be in a baby-bath water moment just now. 

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

They list two of the most prominent species and one other, but there are several others. My list shows

• Guibourtia arnoldiana
  • Guibourtia coleosperma
  • Guibourtia demeusei (one of the common ones they list)
  • Guibourtia ehie
  • Guibourtia liberiensis
  • Guibourtia pellegriniana
  • Guibourtia salikounda
  • Guibourtia tessmannii (one of the common ones they list)

I glanced at the article but didn't re-read...isn't this old news from January?  I didn't re-read all of it, but at a glance it looks like the same info mentioned on a few podcasts earlier in the year. Did something new happen this week?

I did watch bubinga prices locally, they have crept up a couple bucks (~$13 --> $15 /bdft). Still available though.

Below is a good video from  earlier this year courtesy of the guy at wood-database.com, a little long but I enjoyed all the info

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

I glanced at the article but didn't re-read...isn't this old news from January?  I didn't re-read all of it, but at a glance it looks like the same info mentioned on a few podcasts earlier in the year. Did something new happen this week?

I did watch bubinga prices locally, they have crept up a couple bucks (~$13 --> $15 /bdft). Still available though.

Below is a good video from  earlier this year courtesy of the guy at wood-database.com, a little long but I enjoyed all the info

No clue. I have little interest in podcasts. I don't really care who posted first anyway. Now we are beginning to see how border agencies are treating the products. That makes it relevant to me. 

15 hours ago, Unknown craftsman said:

Maybe it's not a true rose wood but I've heard it called African rosewood

I don't think wood vendor marketing terms are relevant here. They  call damn near EVERYTHING rosewood (except for the things that they call mahogany). :P

My favorite is when the flooring industry calls kurugay "Patagonian cherry" although calling bubinga "African rosewood" is a close second.

• Like 1

Exactly.  Bubinga is as much a rosewood as sapele is a mahogany.  It's pure marketing BS to fool the public into thinking it's more special than it is.  That doesn't mean that bubinga and sapele aren't beautiful and awesome...I love them both.  But bubinga ain't no rosewood and sapele ain't no mahogany.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Unknown Craftsman, are your sensitve to inhaled dust only, or is there a skin sensitivity as well? If you have a skin reaction, its going to be difficult to control.

I'm very sensitive to dust on my skin,I very rarely hand sand anything but it still gets me.

I have a good dust collection on my machines a very large cyclone I also use fans and resperator when I need to. 

Im happy working with domestic wood.Maple, Cherry, Alder, oak all good for me.

Anyone heard from Shaney Mack did he ever finish his low back Bulbinga chairs.I wonder what he thinks about Bulbinga now.