Maple Cabinet Staining Issue

Shonkanation

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but just started a staining project after purchasing some cabinets.  I went with Maple cabinets and chose a dark miniwax oil stain -Jacobean to stain the cabinets since the color is similar to the rest of the cabinets in our kitchen.  I have applied the stain over the maple wood that came sanded from the cabinet maker and the stain looks awful and is not uniform.  I am looking for some help on what to do in order to fix it.  I would like to avoid sanding everything down but looking for advice.  Here is a picture attached.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1672.jpg

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Trusting the mfg to sand properly

This more than anything! They're not finishing it... sanding through grits is part of the finishing process. Not wanting to sand it back now is a mistake.

Then only thing you can do at this point without sanding is to paint it. 

Painted white cabinets are pretty trendy these days. :)

Maple is a blotchy species, and when it meets oil based stain = disaster.

You'll need to use a sanding sealer or shellac for your base coat, then a gel stain, then top coat.  There are other ways to achieve a consistent color on blotchy species but this seems the easiest and most fool-proof way to do it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Painted white cabinets are pretty trendy these days. :)

Maple is a blotchy species, and when it meets oil based stain = disaster.

You'll need to use a sanding sealer or shellac for your base coat, then a gel stain, then top coat.  There are other ways to achieve a consistent color on blotchy species but this seems the easiest and most fool-proof way to do it.

White does not really work in the space since everything else is darker cabinets.

How do you recommend sanding down the current stain and prepping prior to using the sealer?

I'd invest in a decent random orbit sander and some good sandpaper.  You can do the flat surfaces with the sander but all the edges and corners will have to be done by hand.  Start with 80 grit and work your way back up to 180 or 220.  It will be "fun" getting all those nooks and crannies.

I was joking about the white cabinets since you obviously want dark ones.  But you're not gonna enjoy the sanding process, I can assure you.

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

I'd invest in a decent random orbit sander and some good sandpaper.  You can do the flat surfaces with the sander but all the edges and corners will have to be done by hand.  Start with 80 grit and work your way back up to 180 or 220.  It will be "fun" getting all those nooks and crannies.

I was joking about the white cabinets since you obviously want dark ones.  But you're not gonna enjoy the sanding process, I can assure you.

Hence why I did not want to sand.  How do you know when you are done with a certain level of grit and need to move up?

47 minutes ago, Shonkanation said:

Hence why I did not want to sand.  How do you know when you are done with a certain level of grit and need to move up?

I'm telling ya, stripping is the quickest and easiest way to remove the stain.  So how do you propose to sand the door profiles clean of stain and not ruin the profile?  I'm done now :D

-Ace-

I put a dark cherry stain on some maple legs last year. The first two were splotchy, but I caught it right away and was able to even it out.  The second two worked out fine.

From what I've seen (TOH & those woodworking shows on PBS) maple needs a pre-treatment to take stain properly. The method probably depends upon the stain of choice. It's either spritz it with water or apply a pre-stain treatment. Some sort of pre-treatment seems necessary for maple.

Maple *can* look nice with a dark stain. http://ornamentalmills.com/turningaround/RouterCrafter.htm (last pic)

I picked up a copy of the Wood Bible -- pics of many species with a selection stains applied. A useful starting-point reference, but ymmv b/c every piece of wood is different.

44 minutes ago, collinb said:

I put a dark cherry stain on some maple legs last year. The first two were splotchy, but I caught it right away and was able to even it out.  The second two worked out fine.

From what I've seen (TOH & those woodworking shows on PBS) maple needs a pre-treatment to take stain properly. The method probably depends upon the stain of choice. It's either spritz it with water or apply a pre-stain treatment. Some sort of pre-treatment seems necessary for maple.

Maple *can* look nice with a dark stain. http://ornamentalmills.com/turningaround/RouterCrafter.htm (last pic)

I picked up a copy of the Wood Bible -- pics of many species with a selection stains applied. A useful starting-point reference, but ymmv b/c every piece of wood is different.

Thanks for the feedback.  Did you apply the stain while the pretreatment was still wet?

I've tried, like many, to stain maple. I no longer try to do so - it's so blotchy and unpredictable to apply stain to.

If I had to colour maple, I would go with a dye instead (Lee Valley sells some) for better penetration. If you really want dark, an open grained species would be much friendlier to colour (like ash).

Can you rebuy the cabinets, and use the current one in your shop or garage? I would rather buy another inexpensive cabinet for the "do over" , then spend hours getting that one stripped or sanded.

15 hours ago, rodger. said:

I've tried, like many, to stain maple. I no longer try to do so - it's so blotchy and unpredictable to apply stain to.

If I had to colour maple, I would go with a dye instead (Lee Valley sells some) for better penetration. If you really want dark, an open grained species would be much friendlier to colour (like ash).

Can you rebuy the cabinets, and use the current one in your shop or garage? I would rather buy another inexpensive cabinet for the "do over" , then spend hours getting that one stripped or sanded.

The cabinets were custom built.  Not an option to reuse.

15 hours ago, Isaac said:

If it were me, I'd try a gel stain over that. See how it looks on a small area, if it works, that is easier than starting over. If not, start stripping, and then use the gel stain. 

I thought about that.  I may go buy some and try over a small area.  There are so many different variations right now that I get concerned its going to overlay differently on each section depending on how dark it is.  Think it might be easier to strip and start over with the shellac and gel stain.