Maybe a new bench build

rodger.

Been contemplating a new bench build for a while, but don't have space for a full size "Wood Whisperer Roubo" (I think about 6 and half feet long is my max). I am currently looking at vises, and pouring over schwarz's book on workbenches. I am thinking the Veritas Quick Release Tail Vise for the end, and a Veritas twin screw vise for the face. I am also looking at the bench crafted "chop" style hardware (with the X), as well as a quick release front vise from Veritas.

Any opinions?

Tail Vise http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=65746&cat=1,41637,41659

Twin Screw Vise http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=45114&cat=1,41637,45114

QR Front Vise http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67755&cat=1,41637,41659

Bench crafterd "chop" http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=72653&cat=1,41637,41659

You've really got an apples-and-oranges thing going on here.  It seems you are still trying to decide on the 'type' of vise you want to go with rather than 'which' vise to go with.  The best vise for you will be fairly specific to what you do and how you do it.

I had a couple or QR vises on a previous bench and worried about losing that feature.  I ended up with twin screws in both positions as the design lets the tail position do a tail vises job.  Both vises, of course, have the ability to pass large boards through between the screws so I get a moxon sort of function as well.

I have a fair amount of jaw that extends past the screw on either side of the front vise with a bit extra on the right and therefor get a bit of a shoulder vise function in that position.  All in all they have worked out well for me. 

Interesting side note; my latest bench is smaller than its predecessors.  It gives me plenty of room to work and doesn't suck up so much of the shop doing it.  The point is, I wouldn't worry about having to make your bench a bit smaller.

• Like 1

I'll leave my opinion about the hardware out of it because it's probably obvious.  But I would strongly urge you to make space for a full-size bench.  Even if you have to move stuff around in the shop to accommodate it.  Benches are forever.  That's a long time to never have regrets.

You only want a long bench if you plan most of the time to build doors or tall furniture. But you can occasionally build tall furniture on a short bench, no problem.

There's a lot of hardware options when you build a bench, and I don't believe the choice is so obvious.
A solution might be good for some people and at the same time it can't satisfy you.
Some people will love bench dogs, some won't. There's not an unique way to do woodworking.
People may be different, so collect advices from different people, and choose with who you are and what your workflow is.
Money can be a factor too.

I wish you to build several workbenches during your life, as I did.
Each one was not especially better in any ways, all were pretty good workbenches, but it was evolving as my experience grows.
Each time different, evolving, matching better with my new places, or with my most used tools at the moment.
I left some away too, because the buyer wanted it into the house, and why not ? I love to make new stuff anyways.
A new workbench was often the better way to go, whatever you move frequently or acquires new machinery.
My workbench is made to please me and to help the best according to my working style.
There's no universal workbench, no universal vice. I you need to build only A workbench in your life, you're lucky and it's ok, but that was not my way.

I had various types of vices by the past. The most handy is probably the leg vice.
I'm not a fan of the Bench Crafted flying wheel because of the three knobs on it, which are magnets for your knees to hit on.
Through, the type of leg vice shown on Bench Crafted ads, are not Roubo leg vices, but hybrid English leg vices.
It involves a thick wooden jaw that counts on the screw torque to maintain the piece in place.
The real Roubo's vice use a thiner jaw as a spring, and that procures much more clamp pressure than a simple screw.
I used both styles and I really enjoy my last Roubo's light leg vice : it does not takes a lot of space and clamps very hard.

acout.jpg

As you can see, the jaw is not a thick and heavy flat board, but this is thin and springy and this have a pinching end at the top.
It's just like threaded rod steel, it's not hardened but springy because it provides much clamping pressure. QED.
I saw jaws with double pinching ends : one at the top and one at the bottom to clamp long standing boards.
On my last workbench I made this way and it was a revelation !
I did not used any cross too but I used a 20mm smooth rod with a linear ball bearing instead. This is inexpensive, smoother and works fine.

As secondary vice, you don't need any complex tail vice if you have a good leg vice.
You just need a way to clamp wood horizontally on the bench, even if a simple bench dog allows you to do most of the work.
That's why I like the small Veritas vice. It's discreet, easy to be mounted and it does not overcomplicated your workbench plans.
Just a mortise into the top and you're ready to go.

insetvise1a.jpg

One more thing : At the opposite side of my leg vice, in the corner I don't work that much, I installed a mechanical vice,
at the downside of my workbench top, so it's flush to the surface, and mostly hidden.
I don't want to cut or file any metal or threaded rod clamped on my woodworking vices.
And the removable top mounting vice is time consuming, and heavy duty steel vices weight like an anvil. You want all your vices ready.
As I don't want metal chips on my top, I'm really pleased by this third vice.

And most important : workbenches have both a side and a height. If you're left handed, place the leg vice to the right.
The height of the workbench depends of your height and of the height of your pieces.
I knew a tall man who built a tall workbench, but felt uncomfortable with it because the chairs he was building was too high on the workbench.

• Like 1

Bench size....

I am planning a 10-12' Shaker style bench. Why? I have the room, and more storage is never a bad thing. I can also work on more than one thing at a time (which seems to happen with greater frequency lately)...

Gives room to "stage" parts. Working on some legs, sticker them on the end of the bench (or wherever), work on the top... no need to constantly maneuver parts around.

There are a few other reasons, but those are the big ones.

Hardware... I had the BC hardware on my last (mostly finished) BC Shaker workbench. It was fine, no complaints. I am going to use Lake Erie wooden screws for my upcoming bench though. Again, a few reasons for that as well... none of which are pertinent here.

Having more bench is almost never a bad thing. Unless you work in a closet... 

I have a standard length Roubo (7.5'?) and I find myself wanting more length on fairly frequent occasion.  I've never built a door.  Planing long boards and assembling large pieces is much more convenient on a longer bench.  I make do but if I had it to do over again...and had just a bit more room, I'd build a 10' bench without thinking about it.  And it would probably be one of those Shaker Roubos like Mel is building because I find the shelf on the regular Roubo to be a monumental waste of space.  I also think the Shaker benches are insanely cool looking.  I didn't care for them five years ago...now they are my preference.  I wouldn't paint it.  Mine would be all cherry base and cabinets with a hard maple top.  Dreams.

Thanks for the advice guys. This will be my 4th bench, and hopefully last.

I use dogs a lot, and need some way to pinch the work flat on the table. Currently I use a face vise in the end position, and have a hole drilled out to accept a wooden dog. I would like to have the moving dog closer to the front edge of the bench to allow access to a boards edge for planing, routing, etc.

I'll check out the shaker style benches as well. 

It would be pretty hard for me to fit a bench longer than 78" in. 

Most of my work is mid size, and I typically work on pieces shorter than 6 feet. Occasionally I use 8 foot length, but this requirement is rare.

I'll keep digging and continue to post ideas.

I built a shaker style with roubo tendencies, I put in partitioned splits for clamping, added the Veritas QR tail vise and leg vise with deadman.  It has one row of dog holes, and after I made a couple of these: http://www.finewoodworking.com/2016/02/10/these-puppies-have-bite I haven't found a need or wanted another vise.  

If you're so inclined, the Roubo does scale down quite nicely. Mine is at 72 3/8" and I've got no regrets (just removed 3 dog holes). While I love the wagon vise on mine (improvised, rather than bench crafted) I think the Veritas tail vise looks like a great alternative. I've also found the leg vise with sliding dead man works very well for edge work on larger boards, but I also joint by hand. I like the extra depth above the screw. I would be unhappy with a standard face vise, but it depends on your usage.