New House, New Shop...and new Woodworker

SimonR

Looks good. I have the same saw. That space in the right wing is great for a router table. Even setting that aside, having it filled in makes the saw a lot nicer to use. Here's what I did, if it helps:

I have a fence that just clamps onto the table saw fence for the router table, but I don't have a picture here.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonR said:

So we moved in late May which feels both like it was yesterday and ages ago really.

Funny how that works.  Just about every memory I have feels that way.  Especially ones with the kids.  Time is a mysterious thing.

Nice tidy space.  In five years you won't be able to squeeze a fart in there. DAMHIK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Looking more like a shop since last time I was there ! Coming along!! Time to order your jointer....

You mean it looks better than with the saw still in a box? I guess I do agree! You should try to make the 6 minutes drive next week!

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

Coming along nicely!  You'll move things a bunch of times before you finally settle on a flow that works well for you.

Thanks Kev! I'm sure things will move quite a lot

55 minutes ago, minorhero said:

Looks good! Congratulations on the shop! 

I think it's now time for unsolicited advice. Save up for an air filter as your next purchase. It will cut down on dust drifting into your attached house which is most peoples complaints I find for attached garage shops. 

Thanks! That wasn't really on the list but that's not a bad idea one bit, unsolicited advices are always welcome here, I guess that makes them solicited now?

32 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Nothing like a new shop along with new tools.  Congrats.

thanks!

16 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Looks good. I have the same saw. That space in the right wing is great for a router table. Even setting that aside, having it filled in makes the saw a lot nicer to use. Here's what I did, if it helps:

I have a fence that just clamps onto the table saw fence for the router table, but I don't have a picture here.

Good luck!

Thanks Brian! I'll definitely give a look to the thread for the right wing! hopefully my little girls becomes as enthusiastic about it than yours, well in a couple years as she's merely 20 months old now!

8 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Funny how that works.  Just about every memory I have feels that way.  Especially ones with the kids.  Time is a mysterious thing.

Nice tidy space.  In five years you won't be able to squeeze a fart in there. DAMHIK

yeah time expands, contracts and distorts more than ever it seems

You say that like it's not a good thing! not like I want to put a car in there!

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, wdwerker said:

I would look at those 3 man doors and at least one garage door & figure out which ones could be locked/blocked or maybe even boarded over on the inside. 

I have thought of building a wall inside of one of the garage doors when/if needed. not sure about the man doors (as one goes inside and one is on the façade)

14 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I was just thinking lock the door , hang accessories on the back of it, park a tool in front of it, voila more wall space !

Oh! Makes more sense now! One of the garage doors will definitely get blocked that way. I suspect the man door in the back might end up always closed too. I have no idea why they put a door there as its not even a couple feet away from the garage door

I put my lumber rack in front of the garage door. It makes good use of otherwise wasted space. My chop saw and stand are folded up and stored in a 6' closet that is adjacent to my shop. It is quick to come out and set up when needed. This allowed the needed space for a jointer. A ceiling mounted air filter should be your next shop purchase. It can make the difference between happy wife or grumpy wife.