Norcal Woodworkers

Xaemian

I'm making this topic for all Norcal woodworkers frequenting these forums.

Any others out there? I've just begun putting my shop together and I plan on posting pictures here of my progress.

I'm going to be working in a 1 car garage that is about 40'x10'.

There are 2 area's, the front area that has the garage door and a small side door.

Then the rear area that has a double wide side door.

My plan is this.. Main power tools in the front area so I can move lumber in the large garage door, then mill it down to size and move the milled lumber to the rear area for assembly and finishing, and the finished pieces can move through the double wide rear door when complete.

That's my plan for work flow. As I mentioned before I'll be taking pictures as I put this together...

I am out in the East Bay area in Brentwood, and currently work out of my 2 car garage (18' x 20') that has to share with my wife's car. Your 40' x 10' garage seems to be a nice little space. I find the challenge of getting everything in, workable/functional, and still able to move around q fun little puzzle. I just finished up my dust collection for my garage which you can see below. I utilize one side for all of my tools which I can wheel into the middle of the garage. The other side is used for a small bench, cabinets, sliding miter saw, compressor, clamps. Don't know if these pictures will provide any ideas/help but hopefully you can get something out of it. Looking forward to see your progress too!

IMG_20110103_185700.jpg

IMG_20110103_185618.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm in Fremont! I'm pretty new to the craft and all I've built is a simple workbench. I don't so much have a "shop" as much as part of the garage that the cars don't take up...

I'm thinking that hand tools may be the way to go for me given the space considerations as well as the noise factor (I live in a townhouse).

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am in Modesto and I am having a heck of a time locating a sawyer that will come out to my ranch and mill 5 large walnut trees. If any of you nor cal guys can point me in the right direction that would be great. I am willing to part with some of the lumber if the sawyer is interested. I tried to mill one myself with chain saw. There was incredible figured burl but to much waste. Plus I am not that knowlegable and prob. cut it wrong and ruined high grade lumber.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - I'm in San Francisco! I've been a DIY'er for a few years now that included building a lot of furniture for my apartments, and actually have a little shop on Etsy selling just a few things I've done with wine barrels. I'm looking to dive a lot deeper into "fine" woodworking this year, so we'll see what happens! I know most people probably don't associate SF with having a place to do woodworking, but I'm incredibly thankful to have the opportunity to lease part of a warehouse in Hunters Point to do my thing. 

Also - I should have posted this under my other account that will be my primary username - ruggedly, so hit me up on that one if you'd like to connect.

Regards,

David

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Also in San Jose.  We haven't parked a car in our garage in decades do to my shop tools.  I recently have been trying to raise my game skill wise.  Also this year I have done a far amount of replacing and upgrades.  sold my Delta contractor saw and purchased a SawStop cabinet saw, added a dust collection system and just replaced my planer with a Dewalt 735 x planer and of course always adding clamps.

• 1 year later...

North of Sacramento here. Got about 1.5 of my 3 car garage converted to the woodshop. Doesnt sound like much but Ive nicely fit all the tools I need and more in it. Shop is always changed though. I swear sometimes it seems the shop and tool acquisition is more the hobby than actually working wood is.

• 2 years later...